Drawing and Painting for Textile Design Online Short Course
Drawing and painting are essential skills for textile designers, and this course will help you develop the techniques, confidence and inspiration you need to create your own original and unique designs. Through a series of practical projects, you will learn the process of generating ideas, experimenting with techniques and materials, creating motifs and personal styles, and developing these into finished paper designs.
Who is Drawing and Painting for Textile Design Online for
The course is perfect for aspiring textile designers, and anyone working in the textile field in non-design roles who wants to understand how textile designers work. It is also suitable for anyone who wants to bolster their interior design, textiles, fashion or fine art portfolios.
- Developed confidence in hands-on textile design
- Conducted visual research and created a mood board identifying your themes and motifs
- Discovered and used a range of painting and drawing techniques specifically designed for textile print
- Developed textile designs from initial ideas through to finished concepts
- Produced a portfolio of textile designs on paper that can contribute to further study in this subject area
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet.
Course Specific Materials
You will need the following materials to complete this course:
- Pro Arte flat synthetic brush 4 cm wide or similar
- Pro Arte Polar 31 size 14 white nylon or similar
- Palette for mixing colours
- Acrylic paint or Dr Martens concentrated watercolour ink/Ecoline ink
- A3 Sketchbook
- Good quality cartridge paper that can take watercolour/ink
- Household wax candle
- Scalpel or craft knife
- Pentel brush pen - product code XGFKP/FP10
- Glue stick
n.b. Photoshop and other digital editing tools are not required (although students are welcome to experiment).
- Primary visual research
- Identifying themes
- Colour palettes
- Freehand painting of motifs (flowers, etc.)
- Stencils and stamps
- Experimental mark-making
- Resists (masking fluid, wax)
- Designing a collection
Meet the Tutor:
Drawing and painting are essential skills for textile designers, and this course will help you develop the techniques, confidence and inspiration you need to create your own original and unique designs.