Digital Textile Design (Online Short Course)
This course will help you explore the creative possibilities of digital textile design techniques, tools, and processes, from the design brief through to the completed collection, and will introduce you to the basics of colour, drawing, composition and repeats with step-by-step exercises and examples.
Through a series of creative projects, the course will provide you with an invaluable insight into the techniques and practice of digital textile surface design, and covers the latest digital print technologies as well as both hand and traditional techniques. You will use digital technologies to create and develop exciting designs and patterns, and then process them into output files which can be used in different methods of fabric printing and garment manufacturing. Throughout the course you will receive personal feedback on your work from the course tutor.
- Working with a brief
- Design development
- Working with trends
- Colour space studies
- Creating a colourway
- Using photoshop and illustrator packages
- Drawing with brushes and working with layers and filters
- Developing your drawings and forms with texture, composition and scale
- Mark making with an iPad
- Repeats: block/half-drop/allover/seamless
- Placement/engineered print
- Technical information: types of printing/dyes
- Specialist materials/fabrics
- Sustainability: reduction of waste
- Slow fashion/upcycling
- Digital portfolio
- Digital bureaus: file preparation
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Research colour and materials
- Demonstrate an ability to locate and evaluate information from a range of visual sources
- Refine research and design development with an introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator
- Create a successful repeat print design
- Create a colour palette
- Produce a digital folio including visualisations of designs
- Work to a brief and develop a collection of printed textile designs for sustainable digital print output
Who is Digital Textile Design (Online Short Course) for
This course is ideal for textile designers, fashion designers, digital artists or anyone who works or who would like to work in creative roles in the textiles, fashion, or interior furnishings industries. No previous experience is required.
Level: All levels welcome
Why choose a Central Saint Martins Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Laura Baker is an experienced lecturer in the Textiles programme at Central Saint Martins as well as specialist in 2D print and surface pattern for Fashion and Textiles. She has worked as a textile designer in industry and on a freelance basis for fashion and interiors companies internationally. She is also author of the publication 'Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles'.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Drawing/collage materials for drawing and composition
- Coloured paper and materials [found] for colour palettes
- Natural textile materials [fabrics and yarns] such as cotton and silk [found/upcycled] for collage and design development
- iPad/drawing tablet
- Digital camera/smart phone
- Memory stick
- Adobe package: Photoshop and Illustrator
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.