Digital Photography Online Short Course
This course will help you to explore the creative potential of your camera and develop an understanding of how to see the world with a 'photographer's eye'. It places digital photography within the more universal context of the medium's tradition by teaching the creative possibilities of lens and shutter control common to all types of camera, as well as the technical aspects that are particular to digital cameras.
The aim is to broaden your critical thinking about photography, so the course does not focus exclusively on the technical aspects of digital photography. You may spend some time in the darkroom or use a film camera to give examples of different outcomes.
Who should take this course?
The course is suitable for beginners. It would benefit anyone wishing to explore the creative potential of their photography practice.
More advanced students would benefit from this course in order to refine and practice project based work after an initial recap of the fundamentals.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- There will be tuition on using Adobe's Bridge and RAW editor software as well as an introduction to some of the core editing techniques in Adobe Photoshop
- A small research project is designed to increase your appreciation of the medium’s history and how it can inform and inspire your own work
- Briefs will explore aperture, shutter, lighting, composition and portraiture. They will conclude with informal group critiques where you will be given formative feedback on your work
- Students may be asked to make a photo book as part of a photographic project.They are asked to reserve £40 for printing of books should we pursue this on the course. However, we cannot guarantee that this option will be part of the course; it will depend on the level and needs of the group
- You will be expected to take lots of pictures, some of which will be taken outside the studios.
Please bring to the first session:
- A digital camera*
- The instruction manual for the digital camera
- Card reader / Storage device
- A notebook and pen.
*Students are expected to be familiar with their camera operating system prior to starting the course.
Meet the Tutor:
This course will help you to explore the creative potential of your camera and develop an understanding of how to see the world with a 'photographer's eye', as well as broadening your critical thinking about photography.