Photography with Art and Architecture Short Course
Aimed at those interested in photography, architecture and art, this innovative course explores the practical and creative interplay between photographic practice and theory in the field of visual representations of urban space. It aims to encourage an innovative approach to architectural and urban photography by applying a critical frame to the way we perceive, relate and respond to the physical realm of the city and its architecture. The course is taught through a series of discussion-based seminars and practical photographic classes.
During the course you will produce a professional artistic portfolio based on digital images and/or prints. Two practical issues are central to the workshops: the development of participants’ own photographic work, and also to take into consideration their physical reaction as an inseparable aspect of the experience of architecture. We will add ephemeral objects or materials into the space, which will redefine the space and bring a different meaning to it.
Our workshops also will look at methods of photographing which challenge concepts and practices of representing space. We will look at the artistic and theoretical aspects of photographing space as well being bodies in the city. In doing so, we will investigate how we relate with space physically, intellectually and emotionally. Students will develop individual photographic projects built around these ideas, working with both exterior and interior spaces, with natural and artificial light, photographing at day and at night time.
The final day is devoted to a feedback seminar during which students will present critical discussions of their portfolio and the concepts they have developed.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
Your tutor will outline the course agenda in detail on day one of your course.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Your own photographic cameras. This can be preferably digital camera or analogue semi-manual cameras.
- Those having laptops are welcome to use them as part of their final portfolio presentation (but this does not need to be brought to the first session)
Meet the Tutor: