Join Street Photography and learn how to use light and location to craft stories through images. Through a series of lectures and practical exercises you will learn how to recognise various forms of natural light and how you can use that light to craft storytelling opportunities through candid and unposed characters available on the streets. You'll find out how you can recognise patterns in behaviour, of both people and the available light, and will learn how to take candid images. You will learn how to make your story ambiguous or specific, and will tailor their storytelling approach to your personal life and approach to photography.
By the end of the course you will understand what it means to be a considerate and self-conscious photographer - approaching street scenes efficiently and neatly, and have the skills to deliver the best results based on your own perspective.
- Introduction to approaches and context
- Shooting exercises at the College and on location
- Selection and editing
- Review and crits of your work
- Commercial applications of street photography
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- understand your approach in a reflective and subjective way, enabling you to develop and apply you own style.
- approach a street scene, knowing what exposure to try for in order to tell the most emotional or engaging story
- understand how these skills can be applied to more useful/profitable ventures – wedding, fashion, film sets, commercial applications
By the end of the course you will have a small portfolio of work but more importantly a strong direction to develop that portfolio and expand their style constantly.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for you if you are interested in photography but feel that you lack direction or a personal style and would like to take the next steps into developing their personal style. It is for anyone who has a camera, knows how to use it, but doesn’t know why to use it.
Beginner / Intermediate: You should know how to use a DSLR camera on manual settings.
We also offer bespoke photography courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page.
Online short courses
Did you know we offer a similar course online? UAL online short courses are designed to help creative people master new challenges, develop their skills, get inspired by new ideas and access the UAL learning experience without having to travel to a campus for class.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.