Photojournalism Short Course
Telling a story through a series of images is a calculated and precise process that requires a whole range of skills, knowledge and experience. This 3-day course is designed to give you insight into the practice. During the course you will learn the skills to communicate a story effectively by developing your own photo essay.
We will think about researching story ideas, look at creative and technical aspects of building blocks for photo essays (establishing shots / portraiture / detail shots / action shots), and edit our work to produce our own photo essays.
We will also review the history of photojournalism, analyse the work of renowned and influential photojournalists, then consider the realities of and opportunities in today's marketplace.
This course will give students the opportunity to explore the technicalities and issues surrounding the practice from a working photojournalist who will teach you everything you need to know from taking portraits, developing creativity in your images, and understanding the legal and ethical aspects of photojournalism.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the history of photojournalism
- Understand today's market place
- Research a story and communicate it visually
- Develop creative, visual and technical abilities
- Edit photographs and create and present a portfolio or photo-essay
Who Should Attend
Photographers and enthusiasts who have an interest in editorial or documentary photography and would like to explore it further before committing to a longer course or people looking to improve the documentation of their travels or charity work.
Beginner/Intermediate: You should have basic computer knowledge and know how to use a camera competently.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- How to communicate a story effectively in a photo essay
- Technical issues surrounding the practice of photojournalism
- Detail shots
- How to develop creativity in your images
- Understanding the legal and ethical aspects of photojournalism
Meet the Tutor: