Set Design for Performance Online Short Course
An introduction to the creative process of set design for live performance: site-specific work, theatre, musical or opera. We explore the designer's vision, creative and practical skills, effective communication and how to develop a critical eye for performance.
You will finish with a combination of practical understanding of the requirements for set design and a portfolio of project work reflecting the designer's creative process.
Who should take this course?
This course welcomes learners from a wide range of disciplines, including those wanting to develop, diversify and extend their current creative experience towards set design for performance.
It is also suitable for those wishing to strengthen their portfolio for application to higher education studies in design for performance.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- A3 Sketchbook
- Coloured pencils
- Pritt stick glue
Project work will include:
- analysing a script, libretto or synopsis to establish a scenic breakdown
- historical research
- 2D and 3D creative interpretation and concept development,
- storyboarding and the scaled 3D model
- roles and responsibilities in pre-production and in production
Meet the Tutor:
An introduction to set design for live performance (site-specific work, theatre, musical or opera). We explore the designer's vision, creative and practical skills, effective communication and developing a critical eye for performance.