Costume Design for Performance Online Short Course
An introduction to the process of costume design for performance. The emphasis is on analysing character and developing a portfolio of costume renderings to support the dynamics of a playwright's characters and their situation. Through a process of creative visualisation a concept is established, which anticipates a performance and communicates ideas effectively to an audience.
You will finish with a combination of practical understanding of the industry’s design requirements, and a portfolio of project work reflecting the costume designer's creative process.
Who should take this course?
The course welcomes learners from a wide range of disciplines, including those wanting to develop, diversify and extend their current creative practices towards costume design for performance.
It is also suitable for those wishing to strengthen their portfolio for application to higher education studies in design for performance.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Please source the following materials:
- A3 Sketchbook
- Pencil Crayons
- Pritt Stick Glue
For the Online Short Course version, please have additional:
- Watercolour or gouache paint
- Water soluble colour pencils
- Brushes in various sizes
- Watercolour and/or marker paper
Access to a printer is ideal (but not mandatory).
Space to draw is necessary.
Project work will be centred on one playwright text, which will be used to encourage period exploration. The topics will include:
- historical research
- analysis of script for character breakdown
- the role and responsibility of the costume designer
- creative interpretation and concept development
- story boarding and anticipating a performance communication through presentation of ideas in 2D
- pre-production processes
- the development of a critical eye for costume design
Meet the Tutor:
An introductory course to the process of costume design for performance. The emphasis is on analysing character and developing a portfolio of costume renderings to support the dynamics of a playwright's characters and their situation.