Advertising Portfolio Preparation with JOLT Academy
Want to become an advertising creative, but not sure where to start? In just 2 weeks, this course will give you the tools you need to secure your first job as an advertising creative, including masterclasses in Strategy, Copywriting, Art Direction, Digital and Social advertising. At the end of the course, you will have a first draft advertising portfolio, built with the assistance of industry experts, including the course tutor and four guest speakers. If your portfolio is selected as the strongest on the course, you win a free place on a JOLT Academy Crits Night, at which your portfolio will be reviewed by at least four Creative Directors.
You'll receive feedback on your ideas from top industry experts, currently working in advertising, making this the fastest, most comprehensive way you can create an effective advertising portfolio from scratch.
At the end of the course, you will have a draft advertising portfolio, built with the assistance of industry experts, including the course tutor and four guest speakers. If your portfolio is selected as the strongest on the course, you win a free place on a JOLT Academy Crits Night, at which your portfolio will be reviewed by at least four Creative Directors.
Read more about Jolt Academy here.
- Introduction to the advertising industry
- Introduction to the creative role
- Making a portfolio/website
- Site design
- Writing a CV and personal statement
- How to sell yourself via social media
- How to get portfolio critiques at agencies and how to behave in them
- How to take criticism
- Conceptual thinking
- Strategy masterclass
- Copywriting masterclass
- Art direction masterclass
- Digital and Social advertising masterclass
- How to edit and refine ideas
- Portfolio assistance throughout course
- Final portfolio presentation, best portfolio wins a free place on a JOLT Academy Crits Night, at which your portfolio will be reviewed by at least four Creative Directors.
By the end of the course you should:
- Have a draft portfolio including 5 creative ideas and a personal statement
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to get a job in the advertising industry
- Be able to network with advertising creatives and professionals with confidence
- Have an understanding of how to create fully integrated campaigns in online and offline media
- Show an understanding of how to apply strategic thinking to your creative work
- Have an understanding of art direction, copywriting, digital and social advertising
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone looking to build a creative portfolio for advertising, including recent creative graduates and communications professionals. The content has been designed to be inclusive and appeal to delegates from a range of backgrounds. You may be a career changer, freelancer, copywriter, designer or something else.
Beginner, you do not need any prior experience but you should be be creatively minded with an interest in conceptual thinking.
Award-winning Patrick Collister has had a long and distinguished career in advertising. He believes that creativity is an innate human characteristic.
After studying History of Art at Cambridge University, he worked at Ogilvy & Mather as a trainee copywriter for two years before leaving to work at Boase Massimi Pollitt and Y&R, and then returning to O&M for a further seven years. In 2013 Patrick became Head of Design for The Zoo at Google (Northern Europe), the creative director of Google’s creative thinktank, where he worked for 5 years. After leaving Google he wrote the book How to Use Creativity and Innovation in Business.
Patrick now runs training programmes and workshops for agencies and clients across the globe, through his training company Creative Matters. He is also the publisher and editor of Directory magazine - a quarterly showcase of innovative ideas in marketing communications.
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.