Illustration Online Short Course
Join this Illustration course and be introduced to the wide-ranging discipline of Illustration and gain an improved understanding of the possibilities of image-making. From book illustration and publishing to animation and motion graphics.
Through a series of projects, lectures and discussions, you will be asked to respond to a range of tasks that introduce the key skills necessary to set out in the pursuit to becoming an illustrator.
You will learn how to respond creatively to a brief and generate imaginative ideas through the process of visual problem solving. The relationship between image and text will be explored and you will begin to identify the key visual characteristics relative to your particular interests in the context of a personal style and language.
Who should attend
Those looking to develop their graphic image making skills and explore the various range of illustration pathways. Suitable for both students and working professionals interested in pursuing an illustration career.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
You will have gained a greater awareness of the role illustration plays in our daily lives. You will be able to problem solve and generate ideas imaginatively. You will have begun to develop a personal visual language and identify future directions for your illustration practice.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Course specific materials
Please source the following materials:
- A4 sketchbook
- A selection of graphite and coloured pencils
- Gouache paint primary colour set
- Black India ink
- A set of soft brushes
- A pencil sharpener
- A ruler (minimum 30cms)
- One black fineliner and marker Pen
- A selection of pens/ mark making materials (reflective of your preferred working methods)
- Scissors / craft knife
- Glue stick
- A USB memory stick
- Magazines of choice; for collage work
- Examples of your previous work (optional)
- Something to store your work in e.g. A3 plastic portfolio.
- Visual Problem Solving as Process
- Interpreting a brief
- Producing a selection of ideas and solutions
- Visual Communication
- Visual components to engage dialogue
- Storytelling and Sequence
- Constructing a story and visual sequence
- Finding your voice
Meet the Tutor:
This Illustration course looks at the wide-ranging discipline of Illustration allowing you to gain an improved understanding of the possibilities of image-making. From book illustration and publishing to animation and motion graphics.