Art Direction for Fashion Online Short Course
The fashion industry needs compelling images to build brands, tell stories, make emotional connections, and most importantly, to sell products across a multi-media platform. This course is a fast-paced and practical introduction to Art Direction for fashion, led by a leading creative art director.
You will discover how to plan and execute your art direction project to the standards demanded by today's fashion industry.
You will explore the history of fashion photography right up to the work of contemporary photographers, learning how their work impacts on fashion-focused image production today, and you will get an overview of the practical skills - interpreting briefs, casting models, finding locations, working with social media, stylists, photographers and film makers - that you need to succeed.
You will develop your own project during the course, with practical and personal guidance and feedback at every step. Your final project will be reviewed by your tutor Schelay McCarter.
Who is Art Direction for Fashion Online for?
Suitable for both beginners and more experienced students, this course is a must if you want to find out more about how to manage creative projects in the world of fashion communication. It is a great opportunity for networking and collaborating, and would be of interest to fashion brand managers, film makers, photographers, graduate students and fashion retail staff.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed a good understanding of the role of an Art Director in the Fashion Industry
- Learnt how to market yourself as a successful Art Director
- Knowledge of how to plan and deliver successful images that will inspire audiences and sell product
- An understanding of the practical, legal and fiscal elements required in the management of a fashion shoot production
- Received hand-outs to form an Art directors handbook of useful data
- Personal feedback on how to progress your career
- Upon request, students will receive an outcomes review of their online fashion art direction project
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your C
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Visual Literacy - what is your USP as an individual image maker
- Brain storming using catwalk trends
- The business of fashion - how it really works
- Guidance of basic lay-out design for publication
- Psychology of image creation
- Jobs - where to look
- Technological trend developments
- Weekly research tasks
- The three stages of a fashion shoot plan
- Online group critiques and discussion
- The production - how to time manage - how to cost a shoot
- Reviews and feedback
- Presentation Guide - how to sell your ideas
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please have ready for the first session:
- Pen & paper
- Start collecting and putting aside a selection of fashion/life-style
magazines for example Vogue (UK, Italian, French), Marie-Claire, Elle, Red,
Wallpaper, ID, Dazed and Confused, plus any other magazines that inspire
you. Don't feel you have to buy a huge selection of current ones, one or two
will do from this year or from last.
- Look at www.vogue.com to be in touch with current fashion news.
- Camera - (not essential but if you have one please have it available)
You will also need in later sessions:
- Two A2 Poly-boards (don't buy this until you have discussed this with the tutor)
- Sellotape (clear adhesive tape)
- Pritt stick (paper glue stick)
- Metal ruler
- Scalpel (with cork protection)
- Cutting mat
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will develop your understanding of the key concepts in art direction for fashion including casting and location-hunting.