Embroidery Level 1 Short Course
During this course students will be introduced to a variety of hand embroidery styles including ribbon-work, cut-work, shadow-work and stump-work.
Starting with a simple running stitch, laced running stitch, whipped running stitch and back stitch, by the end of the first day we will have progressed to more complicated techniques such as French knots which can be used to attach sequins; a whipped spiderweb, a woven spiderweb and a needle-woven ribbon rose.
Other stitches taught on this course include:
- chain stitch, blanket and buttonhole stitch
- daisy stitch, stem stitch and couching
- cross stitch, star stitch and herringbone
- reverse herringbone for shadow-work
- overcast stitch for cut-work
- ribbon stitch for silk ribbon flowers
- long and short satin stitch and split stitch for thread painting
- raised satin stitch for stump-work
- fly stitch, feather and bullion stitch
Whilst creating several small embroidered pieces that could be made into gifts, used in accessory design or shown as part of a textile design portfolio, students will leave this course with a broad repertoire of embroidery styles and stitches, and the confidence to teach themselves more.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Your tutor will outline the course agenda in detail on day one of your course.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- a plain page notebook and pencil
- a pair of sharp fabric scissors
- a pair of sharp embroidery scissors
- a pack of embroidery needles, assorted sizes
- a pack of chenille needles, assorted sizes
- a spool of white thread
- any embroidery threads that you already have
- any beads and sequins that you already have
- an Aqua Trick Marker Water Erasable pen
- a bullet nib permanent black marker pen
- masking tape and paper scissors
Meet the Tutor:
You will be introduced to a variety of hand embroidery styles including ribbon-work, cut-work, shadow-work and stump-work. Students will leave this course with a broad repertoire of embroidery styles and stitches, and the confidence to develop further.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA