Fashion Portfolio Preparation for 16 to 18 Year Olds (Online Short Course)
Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at Central Saint Martins. Developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and developing skills for your own creative process in fashion design. These will be important activities alongside creating work for your fashion portfolio.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with expert tutors
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- Access to VLE with course content
- 3 months online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Activities will include:
- Design Idea Generation
- 2D and 3D experimentation
- Mood board building
- Variety of experimental drawing techniques
- Design development
- Presentation and layout
This popular fashion summer school course is ideal if you are considering fashion or textiles as a future career, or if you wish to try something new and have a passion for fashion and the fashion industry.
Upon completion you will have a better understanding of a fashion portfolio through working on your own small fashion project. From research of inspiring images, objects or abstract thought, development in various forms to a mini fashion collection and small presentation. By documenting your creative processes, you will build content for your own fashion portfolio.
You will explore the process very much in the spirit of Central Saint Martins, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas.
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old onlyPlease note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Petra Metzger is an international Fashion Designer and Fashion Tutor.
Over the last year Petra has been living and working in Rio de Janeiro where she set up the post-graduate Fashion course Orbita at Centro-br. Parallel she has been working as a fashion consultant at Dacri Deviati where she designed for brands at Sao Paulo Fashion Week such as Lenny Niemeyer one of the most important fashion brands in South America and the trend-setting TOP5 brand in Brazil, Vankoke.
Following her graduation from the acclaimed Fashion MA at Central St. Martins College of Art and Design, Petra launched her brand EINE in summer 2013.
She developed her dressmaking and design skills while working alongside innovative designers such as Haider Ackermann , Hussein Chalayan and Peter Jensen. Her work is distinguished by its strong tailoring and its unabashed celebration of woman. While pursuing her profession as a designer, Petra is teaching fashion design, pattern cutting, drawing, portfolio and styling at international universities including Central Saint Martins College, Norwich University of the Arts and Centro-br as well as giving creative fashion design workshops to professional design teams in high-street and high-end fashion.
- A4 Sketchbook or A4 folder with empty white pages
- A4 white copy paper
- Mixed drawing material; colour pencils, oil pastels, colour markers, pencils and whatever else you like to draw with
- Material to collage with; various paper and foil, old magazines to cut up
- some pieces of simple fabric / calico (wait before buying)
- scissors / standing knife and cutting mat
- glue / pritt stick
- fabric pins
Optional material which is good to have
- dressing stand / dummy (male, female, size does not matter) or a sibling/friend who is willing to model for a while
- printing facilities
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net