Fashion Textile Design (Online Short Course)
Fashion textile designers play an important role in the fashion industry, combining their creative flair with a practical understanding of garment materials and production processes to create the clothes we love. This online, hands-on design course will show you how to experiment with different ways of creating prints, textures and surface decoration before developing your own collection of textile designs.
Your tutor will guide you all the main elements of textile design, focusing on the design process and on print and surface textile design. You will learn where to find inspiration, methods of mark-making, how to alter scale and how to develop your own motifs and signature style. You’ll learn how to create a colour palette and will gain a practical understanding of the materials, tools and production processes used widely within the industry.
This is a creative course for individuals wishing to expand their visual design portfolios. The online classroom and chat forum will allow you to communicate with your classmates and your tutor. And you will receive personal feedback each week on the practical projects you complete. The course is perfect for beginners, or those already working in design who want to expand their skills.
- Introduction to textiles
- Textile materials and construction: Weave, Knit, Print, and Embroidery
- Where textile designers find inspiration and how to use each of your senses
- Research review and artwork development
- Experimental mark making
- Paint, collage, and mixed media
- Creating a colour palette
- Surface and embellishment techniques
- One-offs, digital printing, and manual repeats
- Shapes, motifs, composition, and scale
- An overview of fashion designers utilising textile techniques
- Choosing your base fabric
- Applying textiles techniques to fashion garments
- Portfolio presentation
“The course fully met my expectations of learning the appropriate techniques to further develop my creativity. I liked how the lecturer encouraged us to let our creativity flow first before making our ideas concrete. - Anna-Carina, MA Fashion Product and Production Management Graduate
"This course gave me great insight into the creation of textiles. I think it would be fantastic for anyone who has interest in completing a Textiles BA through CSM/UAL or is simply interested in the process and would like additional tips on how to create a cohesive collection from start to (almost) finish. I previously attended a prestigious design college and would argue I learned more in four 1.5 hr lessons online than I did in an entire semester in most of my college courses. Kiren Passi - the Fashion Textile Design lecturer - is well versed on everything textile related and is a great asset to CSM online. - Mirabella Largura,USA-based Textile-Focussed Industrial Design Major
By the end of the course you will have;
- Discovered different ways of finding inspiration
- Experimented with different methods, mediums, and printmaking techniques
- Gained an understanding of the different ways fashion designers use textiles
- Create a range of original textile designs
- Begun to develop your signature style
- Received personalised feedback from your tutor, an industry specialist
Who is Fashion Textile Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course is designed for anyone wishing to gain a practical insight into the different ways of creating textile decoration. Particularly suitable for those wishing to understand how the role of the textile designer interacts/overlaps with that of the fashion designer.
Why choose an CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally, all CSM Online Short Courses include:
- Live sessions with an expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- A CSM Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Kiren Passi is a luxury Fashion Designer who trained at Christian Dior in Paris and subsequently worked as a womenswear Designer in London, Italy and New York. Kiren’s extensive International Fashion Experience has meant she has engaged with craft communities across the world including Bali, India, Nepal, Japan and Hong Kong.
One of CSM’s PG Certified and long standing short course tutors, teaching at CSM for over 10 years, Kiren’s Fashion and Textile education includes a BA Hon’s from UAL and an MA from the prestigious Royal College of Art. She was awarded a Swarovski design prize in 2016.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- A3 hardback Sketchbook and fine liner pens (variety of thicknesses).
- A pair of paper scissors, scalpel.
- Drawing pencils (variety of thicknesses).
- Selection of acrylics, watercolour inks, paint palette.
- Selection of paint brushes.
- Needle and thread, haberdashery and materials related to your concept (for week 2).
- A recent computer with a recent operating system.
- An up-to-date web browser.
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended).
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).