Fashion Design for Beginners Short Course
During 10-weeks you will explore the foundations of fashion design through drawing, research, 3 dimension development, textile and print. You will be guided through the process of designing and developing a collection and will leave with a strong foundation and the confidence to continue further studies in fashion education. The course is an excellent preparation for studying fashion at Central Saint Martin's. Previous students went on to do our Fashion Folio or our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
Who should take this course?
- Motivated beginners who want to develop their creative skills.
- Those with some previous experience who need to gain more confidence in communicating and presenting their fashion ideas.
- Those who wish to progress to further education at Central Saint Martins such as foundation studies or fashion folio.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- A3 + A4 paper
- A selection of drawing pencils
- Fine liner pens
- Selection of paintbrushes
- Pritt stick
- Any other materials you enjoy working with.
There will be three projects over 10 weeks. They will cover:
- doing visual research for inspiration
- experimenting with fashion ideas and concepts
- designing, drawing and illustration
- preparing a fashion portfolio
- 3 dimensional development
The projects will give you a taster of what studying fashion at Central Saint Martins is like. You will experiment with three dimensional work on mannequins, be encouraged to explore different fabrics and develop drawing and collage techniques.
Meet the Tutor:
This course explores fashion design through drawing, research, 3D development and textile, print development. You will be guided through designing and developing a collection and will leave with a strong foundation for further studies in fashion.