Fashion Styling And Communication for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
Creative styling and image making are the key visual tools driving the fashion world today. From magazine shoots, catwalk presentation, performance, installations, fashion films and look-book designers, photographers work with stylists and fashion communicators to create strong relevant fashion images, looks and digital statements.
This course provides an introduction to styling, promotion and image making for fashion, examining contemporary magazine shoots, and genres of fashion imaging, as well as give guidance on further study (such as Fashion Communication, Promotion and related areas) and career options as stylist or creative director.
Students will complete daily tasks, building a body of work that can contribute to a portfolio of work and preparation for further study.
Advice will be provided on application processes, portfolios and further and higher education study options.
Students will have the ability to:
- Research and create a contemporary visual fashion look
- Document and photograph work for a presentation
- Work as part of a team to produce creative and original work
- Prepare a portfolio for further study at FE foundation and BA Hons degree level
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean
- New methodologies will be explained or demonstrated
- We also offer learning resources for you to access outside of the classroom
All our on campus courses include:
- Networking opportunities and the chance to share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access to the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Access to our college shops for any materials you might need
- The chance to ask questions to your tutor in real time
- Feedback and critique on your assignments
- The opportunity to experience the many sights of London on your down time
All our online short courses include:
- Live and interactive online lessons with classmates from around the world
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
- The opportunity to ask questions to your tutor in real time
Digital Credentials (badges and certificates)
Students will receive a UAL Short Courses digital badge and certificate on completion of the course. Digital credentials are a great way to celebrate your accomplishments and stand out from the crowd. Find out more about our digital badges and credentials.
Make an enquiry or call us on 0207 514 7015.
- Working to a brief, students will research, source garments and put together a contemporary visual fashion look
- Document and photograph work produced for a presentation
- Team working, creativity and originality will be encouraged through a variety of assignments
- Advice will be given on portfolio preparation for further study at FE foundation and BA Hons degree level
On campus materials
If possible please bring a camera or camera phone to record the process and outcomes of your work. Everything needed to complete the course is provided, but please feel free to bring any current sketchbooks or materials you enjoy using.
- A personal laptop would be useful, but not essential
- A4 or A3 hard backed sketchbook
- Drawing kit - pencils and colour pencils
- Colour pens - this can be a felt tip or marker pens, Conte or charcoal, pens, acrylic or gouache paints etc.
- Eraser and pencil sharpener
- Pritt Stick or glue stick
- Digital camera or a hand-held device with camera (Hi-Res image capture capabilities are recommended for portfolio and effective image presentation, however students can opt to use methods that work best for them, in line with budgetary restrictions and personal, or career aspirations.)
Please be advised that during this course you will be using Adobe Photoshop. If you do not already have Photoshop, you can sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud. Please note a credit card is required to register for the free trial. The subscription must be cancelled on the date provided by Adobe if you do not wish to continue onto a paid account.Technical requirements for online:
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor:
From magazine shoots to catwalk presentations, designers and photographers work with stylists to create fashion images and looks. This teenagers' course introduces you to styling for fashion, examines contemporary magazine shoots and working stylists.