Visual Merchandising Interiors Short Course
Do you want to learn how interior retail spaces can be arranged in ways that attract customers, maximise their engagement with products, and motivate them to buy? In this beginners course you will get a general overview of visual merchandising (VM) for interiors and explore how current consumer trends can be incorporated within retail. You will learn the fundamental principles, inspiration and techniques involved in visual merchandising for interior retailers creating a visual and sensory experience to drive interest back to our high streets.
During the five day course you will visit London, Selfridges, Harrods and Liberty’s to look at how the Visual Merchandising principles can be applied both creatively and commercially.
You will get the opportunity to create two practical projects which will include a Window styling project for a Pop Up Shop- creating your own 3D model and an interior styling project where we will be focusing upon incorporating current consumer trends.
It is not advisable for students on this course to enroll on the Visual Merchandising - Fashion short course as well, as both courses have the same structure.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to complement your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face-to-face delivery format.
- Understanding the visual elements that attract customer to windows and engage them in store.
- Exterior window communication and basic in-store layout.
- Trend forecasting and how it informs the inspiration for retail concepts.
There will be study trips to research interior retailers' visual merchandising strategies related to a project brief. You will do two projects.
- Project one will consist of a small- scale trend group photo shoot and harnessing material and product grouping. You will research and implement a macro trend, which serves to inspire store window concepts.
- In project two you will produce a design board and scale 3d model of a window display. You will use your creative thinking and work on design and presentation skills.
At the end of the second project students will present their outcomes to the group.
Materials to bring to first session:
- Notebook and pen
- Camera (or camera phone)
After first session:
- Laptop or tablet, needed for research online and suggested for design board outcomes.
- USB/pen drive for storing content/lectures (NB a drop box with this content will be set up for students to access/download this data)
- Supplementary foam board/ colour card (1 sheet of A2 white foam board will be provided for each student for the making of scale models - purchases can be made at the CSM store or recommended art stores)
- Coloured pencils
- Glue stick
- Craft knife
- A couple magazines and material samples (optional)
Meet the Tutor:
Do you want to learn how interior retail spaces can be arranged in ways that attract customers, maximise their engagement with products, and motivate them to buy? In this beginners course you will get a general overview of visual merchandising (VM) for interiors. You will learn the fundamental principles, inspiration and techniques involved in visual merchandising for interior retailers.