Visual merchandising is an essential element of fashion retail marketing, and is the art of designing product displays and shopping experiences that delight customers and maximise sales. This visual merchandising training course will give you a comprehensive overview of the practical techniques and methods that are being used in the industry today, and is led by a visual merchandiser who regularly consults for top brands.
Each week, you will learn a different element of visual merchandising, and will then be given practical assignments to test your skills using the medium of your choice (Photoshop, Illustrator, hand sketching, 3D models, etc.) to create great windows and store layout concepts. You will apply all the core skills of visual merchandising, from using colour and arrangement to capture attention, lighting techniques, use of graphics, styling mannequins, point of sale displays, seasonal displays, and sale and clearance promotions.
By the end of the course, you will have built up an impressive portfolio of fashion window designs and in-store displays, which will help you showcase your skills and personal style to potential clients or employers.
By the end of this course you will have learnt to;
- Developed a good understanding of the key Visual Merchandising principles
- Practised using colour, lighting and graphics in your displays
- Learnt techniques to create 'hotspots' or promotions space
- Gained an understanding of how to use floor layouts for excellent customer flow
- Researched current merchandising trends and used these to inspire your own displays
- Considered how to make your displays correspond with a brand identity
- Learnt to create strong messages from your displays
- Created a range of your own displays, and presented these to the group
- Received hints and tips on the industry from your tutor
Who is Visual Merchandising and Display (Online) for
This course be excellent for anyone wanting to explore the role a Visual Merchandiser, learn to create their own stunning and provocative visual displays, and to anyone looking to find a way in to this this interesting and rewarding career.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Basic principles of window dressing and visual merchandising
- Store visual merchandising and product presentation methods
- Building and creating your own Window Designs using your choice of program / medium
- Current trends in the retail industry in London
- Merchandise selection and accessories
- Merchandising techniques for garments, shoes and accessories
- Customer flow and the importance of store layout
- Colour, POS and lighting
- Mannequin handling and styling
- Creating an effective Sale & Clearance campaign
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions