Curating Contemporary Art Online Short Course
Join Curating Contemporary Art and gain an understanding of professional standards of practice in curating. Learn about structures and institutions of the art world - acquire the tools to write an exhibition proposal, organise a show or apply for funding.
This 5 day curating course will start by giving you an overview of the history of curating and 21st century curatorial developments. We will survey the main trends, institutions and concerns of contemporary curatorial practices. We will also virtually visit a range of exhibitions and institutions in London and have online discussions with industry professionals.
The course will also provide you with important practical information about funding, promotion, installation and other professional aspects of curating. Then we'll move you on to building your practical skills by encouraging you to devise exhibition themes and proposals.
Don't miss your chance to gain valuable and practical insights into curating contemporary art in both gallery and alternative spaces.
Who should attend
Anyone with an interest in curating exhibitions of contemporary art. You may be looking to make proposals to venues, apply for gallery internships, follow a career in arts administration or apply for a BA or MA degree in Curating.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
You will gain vital understanding of professional standards of practice in curating, knowledge of structures and institutions of the art world in London and beyond and have the tools to write an exhibition proposal, organise a show and apply for funding. It could mean moving on to curatorial projects, assistantships, partnerships or internships in the future.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- A history of curating: Lectures on curatorial roles and histories.
- Translating ideas into proposals.
- Curatorial roles and working methods
- Context and mediation.
- Resources for curators.
- EXHIBITION: Contextualising your practice.
- Taking your proposals to the next stage, context and intention.
- Publicity and the press release.
- Partnerships, funding, timetables and calculating budgets.
- Pitching your project: how to present ideas.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Course specific materials
Please source the following materials:
Notebook and pen
Ideas for exhibitions that you would like to curate
Meet the Tutor:
Curating Contemporary Art offers an understanding of professional practice in curating. Learn about structures and institutions of the art world - acquire the tools to write an exhibition proposal, organise a show or apply for funding