Contemporary Art Exhibition and Event Management Short Course
Using specific examples of contemporary art throughout the course and external visits at the end of the course, we will look at exhibitions in various contexts. This will range from artist-led spaces and self-initiated projects, such as pop-ups and collectives to major institutions and publicly funded galleries. We will also look at contemporary art events such as artists talks, seminars, live art and performance events and screenings.
The course will include external visits to a gallery and /or a live event.
You will gain practical management skills and will have a better understanding of working with artists, galleries and curators and engaging with audiences. You will also develop your research and presentation skills.
Who should take this course:
This course is aimed at anyone interested in working with curators and gallerists to produce exhibitions and events, or in setting up their own practice as an exhibitions organiser or gallery manager. Suitable for artists, art historians and cultural producers.
You do not need prior exhibition management experience, but you should have a broad interest in contemporary art practice and visit galleries and art events regularly.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained or demonstrated
- We also offer learning resources for you to access outside of the classroom
All our on campus courses include:
- Networking opportunities and the chance to share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access to the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Access to our college shops for any materials you might need
- The chance to ask questions to your tutor in real time
- Feedback and critique on your assignments
- The opportunity to experience the many sights of London on your down time
All our online short courses include:
- Live and interactive online lessons with classmates from around the world
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
- The opportunity to ask questions to your tutor in real time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
This course focuses on the practical tasks needed to deliver a contemporary art exhibition or event:
• Introduction to a range of exhibitions and events from artist-run spaces to international biennials
• Exhibition and event planning and delivery
• Paperwork and permissions - from health and safety documentation to insurance, exhibitions agreements and licenses
• Budgeting, fundraising & financial management
• Producing supporting material including press releases and publications
• Understanding and reaching your audience
On campus materials
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Please bring a note book and pen to the first session (or a laptop if preferred).
- You will have two external visits as part of the course and will need to have a travel card to enable you to travel on public transport, please allow approximately £15 for entry into exhibitions or events.
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring a note book and pen to the first session (or a laptop if preferred).
You will have two external visits as part of the course and will need to have a travel card to enable you to travel on public transport, please allow approximately £15 for entry into exhibitions or events.
Meet the Tutor:
This course sets out the skills and practicalities of planning, organising and presenting a contemporary art exhibition or event.
Where other courses concentrate on curating and the development of a professional exhibition proposal, this course covers the logistics of working directly with artists and organisations to deliver a successful exhibition or event.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA