Information Design and Data Visualisation Online Short Course
On this beginner’s online course you will learn the fundamentals of information design and data visualisation and how to apply these skills to your own communication projects, or in managerial or designer job roles.
You will learn how to analyse data then create a visual display of this quantitative information, visually communicating your ideas to a chosen target audience. You will learn the skill of storytelling with data as you collect and map information, and you will learn how to choose the most effective way to visualise and present your information.
You will use Adobe Illustrator to create your own infographics. This course is taught through interactive discussion in weekly online classes and you will receive personal feedback from your tutor. Each week you will be set practical homework to develop your ideas.
By the end of the course you will be able to use what you have learnt to create annual reports and presentations. The practical tasks will teach you skills that can be applied in a range of career paths, including graphic design, management and web design.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use the principles of information design
- Assess information data and have the capacity to improve upon it
- Make diagrams using an appropriate chart type
- Create information design that appeals, is understandable and helps people retain information
- Use Adobe Illustrator to create your own infographic maps
- Create data visuals to illustrate the data
- Use LATCH theory to create two data visualisations
- Analyse data effectively
- Use information design to tell a story
Who is Information Design and Data Visualisation Online Short Course for?
This course is for beginners wanting to learn the fundamentals of information design and data visualisation. You can use the skills you will develop, such as graphic design and storytelling with data, to develop your vision within a current or future job role.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- Notebook and pen
- Storytelling through information design and data visualisation
- Considering the importance of colour, hierarchy and typography
- Visualisation types
- Software contexts
- Narrative and sequence
- Chart types
- Layout and composition
- Principles of perception
- Visual grammar
- Adobe Illustrator graphs and icons
- Knowing your audience and story
- Analysing data
- Picking the right format
- Understanding and using LATCH theory
- Interdisciplinary design
- Collecting and mapping information
- Understanding the design processes
- Research methods
- Qualitative and quantitative issues
- Information as art
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course develops your understanding of information design and data visualisation. You will cover a range of topics such as hierarchy, narrative and sequence, skills applicable to any business or project.