Information Design and Data Visualisation (Online)
Information design is all around us - we rely on it to navigate life. While the techniques and tools to visualise information have increased the fundamental principles remain the same. How do we ‘encode’ information so that it communicates clearly? How do you choose the most effective way to visualise your information?
This course is for for beginners and will introduce to you the underlying principles of effective information design. This is not a software course - it is about the underlying principles of effective communication.
- Narrative and sequence
- Chart types
- Principles of perception
- Qualitative and quantitative issues
By the end of this course you should have;
- Developed an understanding of, and used the principles of information design
- Assessed information design, and have the capacity to improve upon it
- Made diagrams using an appropriate chart type
- Created information design that appeals, is understandable and helps people retain information
- Received personalised feedback on your work from the course tutor
Who Should Attend
This course will be valuable for anyone who wants learn to present information clearly in a visual way (eg, charts, diagrams or infographics). You may be someone who works with data and information graphics, or maybe you present data and information at work, and are looking for more knowledge of the visual possibilities. This course is for beginners, and you do not need any previous design experience.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose an LCC Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Communication wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCC Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCC Certificate upon completion
Further details about this course and others offered at LCC can be found here or you can check the Online Short Courses FAQ page for more details about how the courses are delivered
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may be interested in Social Media Marketing (Online)or Practical Public Relations (Online).
We also run this course in the classroom as "Infographic Storytelling".
Laura Knight has worked as a graphic design both freelance and in agencies since 2005. In 2013 she became Design Director at Data Design Studios, leading in the delivery of data-driven projects for global clients. In 2016 she left the studio to pursue an MA in Communication Design at Kingston University. She currently works for the Guardian delivering bespoke data visualisation training for brands and organisations all over the world and lectures part time at Kingston and Bucks universities. She maintains her own creative practice as a designer working on information, graphic design and socially focused projects.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or Ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions