The contemporary graphic communication design marketplace includes, among others, the following major areas of practice: design, illustration, advertising and photography. This course offers the students the unique chance to explore all four of these focus areas on a carousel basis, with project/inter-disciplinary links forged between the disciplines to create continuity and development.
There will be four set briefs, with built in reviews and discussions about the work each day, with a Pop-Up Studio Show at the end of the course, where all participants will have a selection of work appraised by both your tutors and colleagues alike. There will also be optional one-to-one portfolio advice sessions across the two weeks of the course delivered by Andrew Hall.
The tutors’ intention is that students will leave the course inspired and knowledgeable about this dynamic and ever-changing area of art and design. This course can be combined with Illustration Workshop, or computer-based courses in In-Design or Photoshop, for students who want to build a wide-ranging portfolio.
Who should take this course?
We are looking for students with varied amounts of experience who are inquisitive, open-minded and passionate about graphic communication design, and who wish to increase their understanding of their subject and develop their work. Participants may also include those who are already in employment, who want a ‘creative refresher’, as well as those people who are about to attend a three-year degree course in graphic communication design.
A reasonable level of spoken English to engage in class discussions and presentations, and some educational experience in the field of graphic communication design.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to complement your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face-to-face delivery format.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
- Problem Solving/Lateral Thinking
- Communicating and Visualising Ideas
The graphic communication design team will also include three other tutors, who will each lead a brief in one of the fore-mentioned disciplines of design, advertising and (photography). Each will have a long-standing connection with the course and its ethos, experience in higher education teaching, and be currently engaged in commercial and non-commercial areas of graphic communication design practice.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A laptop
- A3 drawing pad
- Any other materials you like using.