Design A Digital Typeface Short Course
Go beyond the limitations of commercial type foundries and create a unique digital display typeface, from A to Aimed at anyone with an interest in typography, this practice based course will guide you through the process of designing your own typeface, whilst helping you gain an understanding of the principles of typography.
Initial experimentation will involve cut and paste exercises using geometric components to gain an understanding of basic letterform structures. Further exploration will examine the anatomy of a typeface, helping you gain a working knowledge of type specification and terminology for future use. Testing and playing with a limited range of letterforms will help inform your direction, thereby defining the characteristics of your display or headline typeface.
Progressing your ideas in digital form using basic Illustrator tools will aid the development of a unique roman alphabet while examining legibility and readability. Applying your letterforms using Fontstruct will provide the opportunity to develop your typeface across a full alphabet for further application beyond the course..
Who should take this course?
Anyone wishing to create their own display typeface to demonstrate type design skills while developing an in depth understanding of typography.
A full display alphabet of English (roman) letterforms in either upper or lowercase for future commercial or personal application. A thorough understanding of typeface design, from concept to creation.
Entry requirements: No prior experience is required in font design, but basic Adobe Illustrator skills are essential.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- Investigate historical and contemporary typeface design
- Learn the principles of typography for print and digital media
- Expand your type design skills using Illustrator and Fontstruct
- Develop an experimental approach to letterform design
- Publish and promote your typeface for personal or commercial use
All materials needed will be provided on the first day.
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
- During this course you may be using Adobe Photoshop. If you do not already have Photoshop, you can sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud. Please note a credit card is required to register for the free trial. The subscription must be cancelled on the date provided by Adobe if you do not wish to continue onto a paid account.
To create an account students will need to:
- Go to Adobe Sign in page
- Select ‘Create an account’
- Enter your details and select ‘Create account’
Meet the Tutor:
Go beyond the limitations of commercial type foundries and create a unique digital display typeface, from A to Z. Aimed at anyone with an interest in typography, this practice based course will guide you through the process of designing your own typeface, whilst helping you gain an understanding of the principles of typography.