Visual Identity (Online Short Course)
Look beyond logo design and develop a fundamental understanding of the principles of visual identity on this short, online course. You will learn how to establish an identity across a variety of applications and broaden your perspective on the possibilities of style, format, and medium. We will take an in-depth look at the core ideas surrounding visual identity, discuss the importance of research and of building a strong conceptual foundation, and explore how visual elements like form, colour palette, and imagery all work together to tell a brand's unique story.
The course features a series of practical assignments which will take you through the stages of creating a visual identity and will help you to develop your visual vocabulary in context. You'll complete work between classes and then present and discuss it with the group. You'll be able to exchange ideas and feedback with the other students both during and after each class, through our online classroom and forum.
By the end of the course you will understand and use elements of visual identity with confidence.
- Introduction and historical context
- Elements and principles of visual identity
- The visual identity brief
- Visual research and mood boards
- The design stages behind a visual identity
- Using colour, typography, and other graphic components
- Refining and contextualising
- Brand expression and art direction
- Photography, illustration, and other visual language
By the end of the course you should have;
- Learnt to understand and utilise the elements that make up a visual identity
- Understanding of the differences between brand, identity and logo design
- The ability to recognise successful brand identity applications
- Grasped a variety of possible visual identity approaches
- Designed and developed a visual identity across a range of platforms and applications
- Received personal feedback from your tutor on assignments you have submitted
Who Should Attend
This course will be invaluable for designers, aspiring designers and other creative professionals, who want to explore visual identity, with input from an industry expert. It will also be useful if you are starting, or want to start, your own brand, and want to learn a process to create a unique visual identity for your brand.
You may be new to the world of visual identity, but you would benefit more from this course if you have basic foundations of design. This course is not suitable for those wishing to learn software - students are expected to be familiar with creative software in order to complete their assignments.
Please note: All learners must be aged 18 and over
Why choose an LCC Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Communication wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCC Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCC Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
David Cuesta is the creative director of London Design Agency CR&D. He has been practising graphic design professionally for over 20 years. Before helping to set up Creative Research and Development, he worked in many studios both in Canada and the UK. He began his career in Vancouver studying at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, before moving to England to study at Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication. David believes in an explorative and research based design process. His areas of expertise are typography, visual communication, and technical design production. Consultancies in London have seen him work on projects for John Lewis, Sony Playstation, JCB World Brands, Diageo, Body Shop and Margaret Howell.