Visual Identity Online Short Course
Look beyond logo design and develop a fundamental understanding of the principles of visual identity on this short, online course. You will learn how to establish an identity across a variety of applications and broaden your perspective on the possibilities of style, format, and medium. We will take an in-depth look at the core ideas surrounding visual identity, discuss the importance of research and of building a strong conceptual foundation, and explore how visual elements like form, colour palette, and imagery all work together to tell a brand's unique story.
The course features a series of practical assignments which will take you through the stages of creating a visual identity and will help you to develop your visual vocabulary in context. You'll complete work between classes and then present and discuss it with the group. You'll be able to exchange ideas and feedback with the other students both during and after each class, through our online classroom and forum.
By the end of the course you will understand and use elements of visual identity with confidence.
By the end of the course you should have;
- Learnt to understand and utilise the elements that make up a visual identity
- Understanding of the differences between brand, identity and logo design
- The ability to recognise successful brand identity applications
- Grasped a variety of possible visual identity approaches
- Designed and developed a visual identity across a range of platforms and applications
- Received personal feedback from your tutor on assignments you have submitted
Who Should Attend
This course will be invaluable for designers, aspiring designers and other creative professionals, who want to explore visual identity, with input from an industry expert. It will also be useful if you are starting, or want to start, your own brand, and want to learn a process to create a unique visual identity for your brand.
You may be new to the world of visual identity, but you would benefit more from this course if you have basic foundations of design. This course is not suitable for those wishing to learn software - students are expected to be familiar with creative software in order to complete their assignments.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Introduction and historical context
- Elements and principles of visual identity
- The visual identity brief
- Visual research and mood boards
- The design stages behind a visual identity
- Using colour, typography, and other graphic components
- Refining and contextualising
- Brand expression and art direction
- Photography, illustration, and other visual language
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will look at the core ideas surrounding visual identity. You will explore how visual elements like form, color and imagery tell a brands unique story. You will gain confidence in your work and develop creative ideas.