Strategic Branding Identity and Brand Experience Short Course
This course uniquely combines design & marketing expert information and aims to give you an insight, and hands-on practical experience of the whole process of branding from strategic brand positioning and articulation to brand identity creation, brand expression and brand experience.
Strong strategic thinking turns good designers into great designers. As designers, we need to be strategic thinkers not only for our clients benefit, but also to earn and keep a place at the top table of our design sector when advising clients.
This course aims to give students an insight into the whole process of branding, from strategic brand positioning and articulation to brand identity creation, graphic branding, brand expression and brand experience. This course will arm students with a set of strategic principles and brand design knowledge that they can apply to just about any branding project, for companies or institutions of any size.
By the end of this course you will:
- Acquire a clear understanding about the strategic principles in branding
- Have a good knowledge of the brand identity design process
- Be better equipped to create, express, communicate your own brand and engage audiences.
Who should take this course:
This course is ideally suited for anyone interested in branding and communication: graphic design students, graduates, creatives (junior level) in the design industry, business owners, start-ups or (junior level) marketing students. Anyone wanting to create a brand, and plan its strategic positioning, brand identity, expression and experience.
Entry requirements: Basic Mac skills and basic working knowledge of either Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign are essential. Drawing skills are useful, but not essential.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained or demonstrated
- We also offer learning resources for you to access outside of the classroom
All our on campus courses include:
- Networking opportunities and the chance to share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access to the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Access to our college shops for any materials you might need
- The chance to ask questions to your tutor in real time
- Feedback and critique on your assignments
- The opportunity to experience the many sights of London on your down time
All our online short courses include:
- Live and interactive online lessons with classmates from around the world
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
- The opportunity to ask questions to your tutor in real time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
The course will combine a series of short lectures, mini-workshops, hands-on demonstrations and exercises to highlight key aspects, alongside the running of one creative brief taken through all design stages. All taking place in a supportive environment with tutor/peer feedback and critiques.
• The fundamentals of branding strategy & design
• Brand positioning, brand purpose, brand personality, brand essence.
• The process of brand identity creation : from initial ideas to cross-media final applications
• Brand naming, brand language, tone of voice
• Brand identity: logo design, basic brand identity elements, (typography, colour, form).
• Adaptive and dynamic brand identity systems
• Brand expression: brand touch-points, media (digital, print, physical), basic principles behind UI/UX
• Basic principles behind digital / social media branding
• Brand story-telling and messages, verbal branding
• Brand experience: customer journey, branded environments
• Audience engagement: social media, marketing and advertising campaigns
• Brand management: brand guidelines, brand management (introductory)
On campus materials
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 (or A3) note pad or sketchbook
- Black fine-liner pen
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- Pencil & Eraser •
- A4 (or A3) note pad or sketchbook.
- black fine-liner pen
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- Creating an Adobe account is free.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
Meet the Tutor:
Behind every successful brand, there is usually a well-defined, coherent strategy. In all reputable branding agencies, before a brand identity is created, and before any work begins on designing the brand expressions and envisioning the brand experience, strategic thinking analyses and defines all aspects of the brand: its proposition (what), its purpose (why), its brand positioning (where and how), and its brand personality and values (who). It is this intellectual foundation that governs the creation of an effective and relevant brand.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA