Design Thinking Online Short Course
This online short course is an introduction to Design Thinking – an interactive thought process which will enable you to understand your end user better, in order to create innovative products and services. You’ll learn how this approach can help you solve problems creatively in a range of different industries, from both the public and private sectors, prior to formulating your own original ideas with clarity and flair.
You will learn from case studies, lively class discussions, and hands-on assignments. And you will receive personalised feedback on each of your assignments from your tutor, an industry specialist. The digital classroom will also enable you to communicate with your fellow classmates. You will need to commit 2 hours per week of self-study.
In each lesson you will explore different steps, starting with framing problems, creating a bank of ideas, and finally developing a prototype which focuses on the demographic you desire to design for. This course provides a variety of tools, activities and real examples with the aim of boosting your design thinking abilities. An emphasis on the consumer’s perspective is present throughout.
Who is Design Thinking Online Short Course for?
This online short course is designed for individuals keen to explore the methods and mindsets behind effective creative design thinking. You’ll become familiar with different ways in which to approach a variety of briefs. This course is perfect for current students, junior managers, consultants, aspiring entrepreneurs. A great program for those who wish to advance their career while learning about the importance of the end-user’s perspective in launching or revitalizing a new or existing business. All levels welcome.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Identify and assess opportunities through customer needs analysis
- Create a clear set of product specifications based on customer needs that are desirable, feasible, and viable
- Implement a proven 4-step method for planning and executing a prototype for a product, service, or business idea
- Use observational techniques to gain a deeper understanding of end-user insights
- Generate ideas while determining which ones are likely to produce specific, desired outcomes
- Defined your minimum viable product
- Develop a prototype in line with your chosen demographics needs
- Provide a user-friendly experience
- Created a portfolio of options
- Deliver a project from an idea to a prototype
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- Idea generation and boosting your creativity
- Design thinking tools: innovating the starting point
- Assessing your ideas and application in the real world
- Research methods: understanding your customer
- Building customer personas: investigating behaviours and needs
- Customer journey mapping
- Stakeholders, the gatekeepers and finding individuals to champion your ideas
- Defining your minimal viable product
- Conceptualising your idea
- Prototyping and user-testing
- Developing a business case from your concept
- Exploring ways to capitalise on your idea
- What stakeholders want: from sustainability to beyond
- Providing a user-friendly experience
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course is an introduction to using Design Thinking to formulate great ideas, products and businesses. You'll learn from case studies prior and then practice your new skills with realistic projects.