Promoting Sustainability in Fashion (Online Short Course)
This course is an introduction for fashion marketing professionals and strategists as well as fashion sustainability activists to the increasingly important trend towards fashion sustainability. The course covers promotion opportunities, the changing consumer, and risks and issues through the value chain.
During the course you will explore critical approaches to fashion marketing and communications from a sustainability perspective and address the question of whether marketing is hindering or helping tackle the sustainability challenges faced by the industry. This understanding will help you develop more sophisticated sustainability strategies.
- Introduction to global sustainability challenges and fashion sustainability.
- Circular economy and sharing economy
- Business structures and business models
- What sustainability issues are being covered, using what channels?
- Marketing communications: tools and challenges
- Greenwashing and Green hushing
- Sustainability as a point of differentiation
- CSR marketing and how it effects brands in crisis situations.
- Efficiency vs. effectiveness
- Changing consumer demand
- How sustainability is being framed
By the end of this course you will;
- Gain a developed understanding of the issue of sustainability in relation to the fashion industry
- Explore if sustainability can create a a competitive advantage for a brand
- Investigate how sustainability issues are being communicated to the public
- Understand consumer attitudes towards sustainability and how this can impact a fashion brand
- Receive tutor feedback on your weekly assignments
Who is Promoting Sustainability for Fashion (Online) for
This course will be invaluable to individuals seeking a comprehensive understanding of sustainability issues, how they are affecting the consumer, and, as a result, and the fashion industry. This course will best suit individuals already active in the fashion industry, and some overall knowledge of the industry will be useful to participate fully in the course.
Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Liz Parker teaches sustainable fashion at University of the Arts London and across the UK. She is an activist, researcher and project manager in sustainable fashion, specialising in workers' rights in garment supply chains. She has worked for the Clean Clothes Campaign, Fashioning an Ethical Industry, Women Working Worldwide and Ethical Fashion Consultancy amongst many others.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions