This course is for artists, makers, designers, photographers and image makers who wish to know about how to set up in business, and learn about the benefits of becoming self-employed. Did you know for instance that you can be employed and run an arts practice or design business at the same time? Did you know that if you freelance, sell work or need to gain commissions or run workshops on an ongoing basis you might need to gain legal trading status? But don’t panic!
This course will give you a concise overview of where to find sources of support, how to write a business plan, promote and identify a market for your artworks, designs, and creative skills. Other topics covered include raising awareness of legal issues, taxation, costing and pricing, what to charge and how to get paid.
The course includes a talk by a recently self-employed arts, design or lens-based start-up.
City law firm Laytons LLP is offering a free business name check and trade mark search to delegates on this course.
Who should take this course?
Artists, makers, designers, photographers or any other creative professionals wishing to develop their entrepreneurship skills.
Entry requirements: None
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
• Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
• New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
Experience life on campus
• Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
• Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
• Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
• Ask questions of your tutor in real time
• Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
• Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
• You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
• As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
• We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
• Certificates are great to complement your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face-to-face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
Please bring to the first session:
This course is for artists, makers, designers, photographers and image makers who wish to know about how to set up in business, and learn about the benefits of becoming self-employed.