User Experience Design (Online Short Course)
User Experience (UX) Design will teach you the essentials of app design and address the importance of User Experience (UX) as an approach to solve people's problems.
Look into what user experience design is, how it can help you create a more user friendly website/mobile app or desktop application. Combine theory with practice and receive support on your journey from an app idea all the way through to app design.
You will receive feedback, critique and helpful tips on how to identify user needs and behaviours, and iterate your design ideas, design wireframes, build and test prototypes and finally, refine and polish your design. You will also consider design documentation and the preparation of assets for developers so that you get familiar with the professional UX processes.
In this course you’ll use a range of methods, approaches and available tools, to discover and champion user needs, and validate design concepts by eliciting user feedback to measure usability.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Research techniques (Interviews, surveys)
- Research synthesis (user journeys, user personas)
- Design thinking and lean methodology, introduction to agile and sprints
- Design principles and patterns
- Case studies
- Inclusive design and accessibility principles
- Human-machine interaction guidelines
- Sketching and wireframe design
- Prototypes, testing and iterations
By the end of the course, you will have a greater confidence and understanding of the benefits of UX. You will have built an app prototype and begun to test, refine and share this.
Who should attend
Ideal for design students or graphic design practitioners with a keen interest in using digital solution to solve problems. As well as other digital practitioners, such as project managers, marketers and copywriters, wanting to adopt design thinking approaches and collaborate with UX designers.
Courses are Typically taught by one or more of the tutors listed below.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Arno Devo is a UX Designer currently working for Brittany Ferries creating the digital experience on-board their new high-tech ships launching 2020. After more than 15 years in design, from environmental design, to print and publishing, branding and digital products, Arno pivoted over to UX. His practice now focuses on what he enjoys the most – discovering people’s unmet needs to create meaningful experiences. He’s a strong advocate of research: always looking behind the layers for the real problem to solve, placing the user in the centre of every design decision. Over his career he’s worked with national museums, disruptive start-ups and global agencies. You're most likely to find him with a pen in hand, either in the field talking to users, or in his studio, scribbling on post-its and drafting prototypes.
Take look at Arno's website
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine).
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring the following with you on the first day of the course:
- A smart phone or tablet to create your app prototype with