Experimental Film Online Short Course
This course aims to introduce you to the fundamentals of film, video and installation from production to post-production focusing on experimentation and moving image in the expanded field. It is an informative and fun look into using documentary, fiction and expanded use of moving image and sound installation methods to gain an understanding and engagement in the use of communicating ideas through filmmaking media. We will visit installation based exhibitions around London and look at current moving image practices to use as inspiration for making work.
The course has a particular focus on working between different disciplines - documentary, feature and art installation. You will be encouraged to be innovative in your work and to think outside the conventional interpretations of the subjects covered.You will be taught through exercises, lectures, workshops, demonstrations, visits and individual tuition.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Edit video and film into a sequence to integrate into moving image work
- Edit a soundtrack into a sequence for a short film
- Have an understanding of ways to use film in moving image installation
- Have an understanding of the stages of production and post-production in relation to video and film
Who is it for?
This course has been designed for artists and designers who want to use film in their work. It is also ideal for you if you are thinking about making films and want to work with some new experimental approaches.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- Notebook and pen
- Contextual awareness
- Planning, production and post-production
- Individual project
Meet the Tutor:
Experimental Film Short Course is a practical course covering moving image and sound. It has been designed for artists and designers who want to integrate creative filmmaking into exhibitions and installations.