Animation and Illustration for 16 to 18 Year Olds Online Short Course
Combine your creative and technical skills to tell stories. This intensive course will introduce you to the fundamentals of animation and illustration, by the end of the course you will have completed a short film you can use to support an application for further study.
Through discussions and project work you will learn about current practices and experiment & explore a range of techniques using your drawing skills on paper as well as looking at computers techniques also. By the end of the course you will have a deeper understanding of how animation and illustration can be used to get people’s attention and communicate ideas.
The course draws upon LCC’s legacy of teaching animation and illustration and has been designed specially for younger people who are interested in further study in this area. The practical skills you will learn and your ability to speak about the subject will help you make an application for further study in a range of subjects including animation or illustration as well a range of other courses: UX design, fine art, media studies and filmmaking.
Please note that this course is suitable for you, if you are applying for further study at LCC, but does not guarantee entry.
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for you if you are between 16 – 18 and are considering further study or a career in animation or illustration.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Concepts and theory
- Drawing skills
- Storyboarding and storytelling
- Sound design
- Digital design
- Individual project and presentation
Students will need these materials for the course:
- 1 x 2H pencil
- 1 x HB pencil
- 1 x 2B pencil
- metal sharpener
- good quality eraser
- a ruler (30 cm or more)
- assorted black permanent pens - one thin tip, one medium and one thick with a chisel end
- black drawing ink - here is a link
- a couple of brushes
Online Technical Requirements:
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- Please be advised that this course will be taught using the Adobe Photoshop. If you do not already have Adobe Photoshop, please sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud. For courses longer than 7 days a monthly subscription of £16.24/month is available.
Meet the Tutor:
Combine your creative and technical skills to tell stories. This intensive online course will introduce you to the fundamentals of animation and illustration.