Furniture Design for Beginners Online Short Course
On this intensive online course you will learn the skills of the modern furniture designer. You will learn how to understand your consumer, produce scale drawings and test your designs by creating 2D and 3D models. This course will help you practice the leap between ideas and 3D reality.
During the course, you will develop your practical skills and work on an exciting and realistic furniture design project. You will improve your knowledge of product design through lively discussion in weekly online classes and personal feedback from your tutor.
Each week you will be set practical homework to develop your very own idea, resulting in a finished scale prototype model of your design, which you could add to a portfolio, or continue to develop.
Who is Furniture Design for Beginners Online Short Course for?
This course is for new designers, students looking to improve their portfolio, or professionals wanting to revisit the basics. The next step could be a successful degree application or the start of your career as an independent furniture designer.
By the end of the course you will;
- Be able to interpret a design brief
- Be able to analyse markets and consumers
- Understand materials and techniques
- Create a technical production drawing
- Be able to communicate your designs in 2D and 3D
- Produce a finished scale model of your design
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- History of modern furniture design
- Learning the furniture design process
- Understanding a design brief
- Understanding different markets and consumers
- Storyboarding and research techniques
- Generating ideas
- Developing concepts
- Sketching ideas
- Learning about manufacturing
- Learning material qualities and limitations
- Creating scale drawings
- Introduction to ergonomics
- Introduction to orthographic drawing
- Technical production drawing
- Creating a general arrangement drawing
- Creating a 3D sketch model
Meet the Tutor:
On this intensive online course you will learn the skills of the modern furniture designer. You will learn how to understand your consumer, produce scale drawings and test your designs by creating 2D and 3D models.