Intermediate Ceramics Short Course
This practice-led course is for students and professionals who have a basic knowledge of working with clay and who would like to further explore the processes of ceramic production. The course will look closely at the design and manufacture stage of ceramic practice with an emphasis on plaster turning, profiling and mould-making for press-moulding and slip-casting applications. These are the founding principles for a range of different ceramic design outcomes.
Clay is a versatile material that is used in many different art and design applications due to its ability to be manipulated easily when raw, yet have incredible thermal and compressive strength once fired. The course is suitable for creating tiles, lighting, tableware, vessels and other bespoke products that befit the material. Please be aware that this may lead to a prototype or model if there is not sufficient time to finish the work.
All clay work will be fired on site, but please note students will be expected to collect their work after the course is complete to ensure the pieces are given time to dry out before they are kiln-fired. Please bear this in mind if you are coming to the UK for a short trip to attend the course.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
To progress your learning further, we recommend the Experimental Glazing Short Course. This course will introduce students to the various materials and techniques required to apply a glaze, before applying the learning to their own piece.
Your tutor will provide your agenda at the first lesson.
Please bring to the first session:
- A pen
- A notepad
Please be prepared to bring in various materials throughout the course for experimenting on the clay surface. Any specialised ceramic materials or tools required, other than those supplied on the course, would need to be bought by you.
Meet the Tutor:
This practice-led intermediate course is for students and professionals who have a basic knowledge of working with clay and who would like to further explore the processes of ceramic production.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA