Skip to main content

Loans and grants for undergraduates

If you're studying on a full-time BA, BSc or Integrated Master’s course you may be able to get UK government loans to cover your tuition fees and contribute towards your living costs.

This page is about funding available from Student Finance England in the 2021/22 academic year.

Please refer to the website of the relevant funding body in ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland.


You’ll find information on GOV.UK about what support you're eligible for based on your nationality, residency and immigration status.

Following the UK's exit from the European Union there has been significant changes to the eligibility rules for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals. If you're starting a course on or after 1 August 2021 you must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme as well as meeting the residency criteria. In most cases, you must have moved to the UK before 31 December 2020 to be eligible for the EU  Settlement Scheme.

Contact the Student Advice Service if you're unsure about your eligibility.

Interest and repayments explains how interest is applied and how repayments work.


Apply online. You should apply early, even if you’re not sure which course you want to study.

What you can get

Tuition Fee Loan

This covers your tuition fees.
If you studied at university before, this can affect your eligibility even if you didn't get a qualification or studied abroad.
If you left your previous course early or repeated a year for personal reasons, you could get an extra year of tuition fee support.
This is called a Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) application.

Check your eligibility on GOV.UK

Maintenance Loan

If you're eligible for full support you may be able to get a Maintenance Loan to help with your living costs.
You can get between £3,410 and £12,010 depending on your household income in the 2019/20 tax year and whether you live with your parent(s) or not.
If you:
  • have children
  • are in receipt of certain disability benefits
You get a higher Maintenance Loan which includes a Special Support Element.
You'll need to provide evidence to Student Finance such as a benefit award letter dated in the past 3 months. Student Advice Service can help you communicate with the benefit agency about your new student income to make sure your benefits are calculated correctly.


If you have children or dependent adults, you may be able to get additional grants to help with things like childcare costs.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability. The Disability Service can tell you if you are eligible and help you to apply.

Household income

Household income has gone down

Your parent(s) or partner can apply for a current year income assessment if they think their taxable income in 2021/22 tax year will be at least 15% lower than the 2019/20 tax year.

Independent students

If you’re over 25 you won’t need to provide your parent(s) income details to be assessed for the Maintenance Loan or additional grants. If you're married or live with your partner, they will need to provide their income details to calculate your loan entitlement.

If you're under 25 and in one of the following circumstances you can also be considered an independent student and won't need to provide parental income details. However, you’ll need to provide evidence about your circumstances to be assessed. Visit the UCAS website for a full list of who can be considered independent.

  • You're a care leaver.
  • You're estranged from your parent(s), meaning you don't have contact with them and this is unlikely to change.
  • You've supported yourself financially for 3 years before starting your course.

Contact us if you're in one of these circumstances so we can talk through your application and the evidence you'll need to provide.

Placement or Study Abroad year

If you’re on placement year or study abroad year your funding will be different than a normal year of study. Download our factsheet for detailed information:

Placement Sandwich Year Funding factsheet (PDF 514KB)

Withdrawing, transferring or taking Time Out

After starting your course, you should seek advice from the Student Advice Service before making a decision to leave, take Time Out or transfer to a different course. These events can all affect your current and future funding. In some cases, your loans will be reassessed and you may have an overpayment. Student Finance explain how they make these calculations in their guide.


Contact the Student Advice Service for further guidance on loans and grants for your course.

Check the scholarship search tool for UAL scholarships, bursaries and awards.