Dr Vali Lalioti
BiographyDr. Vali Lalioti is a pioneering designer, computer scientist and innovator. She joined the University of Arts London (UAL) in 2020 as the Programme Director, Creative Computing Institute (CCI).
Founder-Director of The Innovation Consultancy, Vali is at the forefront of cutting-edge developments in technology, design and the arts, including a ground-breaking new VR platform to help performers and live venues hit hard by Covid-19.
Vali has a PhD in Computer Science, an MRes in Design from Royal College of Art (RCA) and an MBA, with extensive international leadership and innovation experience from Silicon Valley, Africa, China, Japan and Europe. She helped design the world’s first Virtual Reality (VR) systems in Germany and built a cross cultural research centre, as a Professor of Computer Science in post-apartheid South Africa. Then back to the UK, she was the human mind behind the first ever BBC Augmented Reality production in 2003, which won the Royal Television Society judges award.
She has led EU and InnovateUK funded research projects and delivered Knowledge Exchange in companies and non-profits as Professor with global business schools. Vali’s research in VR/AR, innovation and AI/robotics, has been published extensively in books, academic journals and international conferences. Vali is passionate about how society and technology interact. Her VR/AR and robotic designs won innovation awards and she’s been interviewed by WIRED, Dezeen, BBC Horizon and the UK press.
Vali leads the development of exciting new courses in robotics, design and creative computing and oversees the Institute's BSc, MSc, MA and Diploma courses. She leads a diverse team of designers, artists, academics, researchers and computer scientists through a values-based approach that promotes diversity, inclusion and interdisciplinary learning principles.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council, HEartS Professional: The Health, Economic and Social impact of COVID-19 on PROFESSIONALs in the ARTs, £379,220.00, (2021-2022)
- InnovateUK, VR Rehearse & Perform: Immersive Environments for the Performing Arts, £75,000.00, (2020-2021)
- Lalioti V. The Neuroscience of Innovation Design: Link. Blink. Wonder (2014)
- Lalioti V, Malan A, Pun J, Wind J. Ndebele painting in VR (2001)
- van den Bergh F, Lalioti V. Software Chroma Keying in an Immersive Virtual Environment (1999)
- Gibbs S, Arapis C, Breiteneder C, Lalioti V, Mostafawy S, Speier J. Virtual studios: an overview (1998)
- Lalioti V, Loucopoulos P. Visualization of conceptual specifications (1994)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Dobal F, Lalioti V. Circular Species: Designing critical thinking into children's science education through biomaterials and augmented reality (2021)
- Lalioti V. RethinkAI™: Designing the impact of AI in the Future of Work (2019)
- Lalioti V. RethinkAI™ : Designing the Human and AI relationship in the Future of Work (2019)
- Bates E, Evers K, Leewis L, Zhou J, Vasalou A, Lalioti V, Augustin K. The Bits & Atoms of Play: Critical Engagements with Intercultural Meaning Making (2018)
- Woolard A, Lalioti V, Hedley N, Carrigan N, Hammond M, Julien J. Case studies in application of augmented reality in future media production (2003)
- Woolard A, Lalioti V, Hedley N, Julien J, Hammond M, Carrigan N. Using ARToolkit to prototype future entertainment scenarios (2003)
- Goebbels GPJ, Lalioti V, Göbel M. Design and evaluation of team work in distributed collaborative virtual environments (2003)
- Lalioti V, Woolard A. Mixed Reality Productions of the Future (2003)
- Goebbels G, Lalioti V. Co-presence and co-working in distributed collaborative virtual environments (2001)
- Lane J, Lalioti V. Interacting with reflections in virtual environments (2001)
- Greeff M, Lalioti V. Interactive Cultural Experiences using Virtual Identities (2001)
- Heisenberg G, Lalioti V, Mack T. Guided Design and Evaluation of Distributed, Collaborative 3D Interaction in Projection Based Virtual Environments (2001)
- Greeff M, Lalioti V. Interactive Storytelling with Virtual Identities (2001)
- Heisenberg G, Aquino Junior PT, Göbel M, Lalioti V. Supporting Team Work in Collaborative Virtual Environments (2000)
- Jackson C, Lalioti V. Virtual Cultural Identities (2000)
- Lalioti V, Garcia C, Hasenbrink F. Virtual meeting in cyberstage (1998)
- Lalioti V, Garcia C, Hasenbrink F. Meet.Me@Cyberstage: towards Immersive Telepresence (1998)
- Hasenbrink F, Lalioti V. Towards Immersive Telepresence SCHLOSSTAG’97 (1998)
- Dai P, Eckel G, Göbel M, Hasenbrink F, Lalioti V, Lechner U, Strassner J, Tramberend H, Wesche G. Virtual Spaces - VR Projection System Technologies and Applications (1997)
- Lalioti V. Animation for Validation of Business System Specifications (1997)
- Lalioti V, Theodoulidis B. Use of Scenarios for Validation of Conceptual Specifications (1995)
- Lalioti V, Loucopoulos P. Visualisation for validation (1993)
Current research students
- Ziwei Zhao, The Useful Narrative of MR Devices: Advancing the Self-Care Practices of LGBTQ Older Adults by Resolving Skin Hunger Issues (Lead supervisor)