BiographyJeffrey Dennis is a painter and Senior Lecturer on the Fine Art Programme at Chelsea College of Arts and supervisor to Chelsea, Camberwell and Wimbledon research students.
His paintings are in the collections of Arts Council England, British Council, Fondation Cartier pour l’art contemporain, Paris, Leeds Art Gallery, Priseman Seabrook Collection, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Swindon Museum and Art Gallery, Tate, and private collections worldwide.
He was the subject of a major solo exhibition 'Ringbinder', at the Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art, Sunderland, UK in 2015, with an accompanying monograph published by NGCA and Slimvolume in 2017. He has been exhibiting internationally since the mid-1980s.
He was selected to participate in the DACS project Art360, developing and sustaining the archives of 100 leading modern and contemporary British artists.
He has written that his work: '... is rooted in the daily experience of the city: how people move around, inhabit spaces and make sense of their daily routines. Of particular relevance to this and to the structure of my paintings are the ideas of proximity, contiguity and adjacency: these terms express the abrupt collisions of style and taste evident in urban architecture, the habits nurtured by travellers and inhabitants to protect personal space and the interrupted narratives of encounters and conversations. The paintings themselves provide a fluid, mutable net to hold narrative fragments and connective elements in place; a landscape corresponding to the fragmentary mental maps which people construct in order to give their existence some measure of meaning.'
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- Arts Council England, Grants for the Arts
- Dennis J. Ringbinder (book) (2017)
- Dennis J. Ringbinder (2017)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Dennis J. The Changing Technologies of Art: Opportunities, Risk and Tradition (2015)
- Dennis J, Barlow P, Bainbridge E. Pino Pascali and British sculpture (2011)
- Dennis J. Ringbinder (2015)
- Dennis J. Gwen John to Lucian Freud: Home and The World (2015)
- Dennis J. Long they look, and deeply (2013)
- Dennis J. The Jerwood Drawing Prize 2012 (2012)
- Dennis J. The Lynn Painter Stainers prize exhibition (2010)
- Dennis J. Misfits: 7 British painters abroad (2010)
- Dennis J. 'Misfits: Seven British Artists Abroad' (2010)
- Dennis J. A thousand yard stare: a role for drawing in contemporary painters' practice (2010)
- Dennis J. 'Extracts from the Log’ (2008)
- Dennis J. Precious Things (2008)
- Dennis J. East International 2007 (2007)
- Dennis J. Short Stories about Painting (2005)
Current research students
- Sharon Kim Phelps, Agnes Martin: Painting as Making and its Relation to Contemporary Practice. (Lead supervisor)
- Srinivas Surti, The poetics of surface relief and the aesthetics of mystery (Lead supervisor)
- Ana Teixeira Teles, Copying Artists’ Works: an Inquiry into Authenticity and Artistic Identity (Lead supervisor)
- Ana Teles, Copying artists’ works: an inquiry into authenticity and artistic identity. (Lead supervisor)