BiographyBernd Behr is an artist and lecturer in photography at Camberwell College of Arts, University of the Arts London. Previous teaching posts include University of Gloucestershire and Goldsmiths College, University of London. Behr studied at San Jose State University, California, and Goldsmiths College, University of London.
He was selected for Beck’s Futures 2003, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, and received an Artsadmin deciBel Award in 2006. His moving image work has been funded by Film London and Arts Council England.
Selected exhibitions include This is not a Taiwan Pavilion, 55th Venice Biennale (2013), The Hepworth Wakefield (2011), Bloomberg Space, London (2010), Whitstable Biennale (2010), Württembergischer Kunstverein, Stuttgart (2010), Storefront for Art & Architecture, New York (2009), High Desert Test Sites,California (2008), Lewis Glucksman Gallery, Cork (2007) and Chisenhale Gallery, London (2006).
He has given presentations on his work at the Architectural Association, London, and Bauhaus University of Weimar, Germany, amongst others, and has participated in several artist residencies including Akademie Schloss Solitude, Stuttgart, Germany (2010/11), Makan/Triangle Arts Trust, Jordan (2007) and Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, Utah, USA (2005).
Works across moving image, photography, sculpture and writing are situated at particular historical junctures of images, individuals and the built environment. Projects engage with specific architectural sites or historical narratives by constructing a place for themselves within these subjects through modes of research and fiction. Questions of narrative, material and pictorial provenance form the basis for speculative trajectories of indexicality and the narrated image.
- Behr B. Solar Regime (Maxwell Fry and Jane Drew, Tropical Architecture, 1964) (2016)
- Behr B. Akeley in the Elephant Skull (2014)
- Behr B. Chronotopia (2013)
- Behr B. Weimar Villa (Unreconstructed) (2010)
- Behr B. Akeley inside the elephant: Trajectory of a taxidermic image (2016)
- Behr B. Photographic indexicality: Once more, with feeling (2016)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Behr B. The Paranoiac-Critical Method of Reflectance Transformation Imaging (2018)
- Behr B. The Esper Syndrome (2018)
- Behr B. An Archaeology of Virtual Light (2018)
- Behr B. Another Moon (2018)
- Behr B. Learning from Renningen: On the Perceptual Architectures of Self-driving Cars (2018)
- Behr B. The Unknown Known: Prehistories of Machine Vision (2018)
- Behr B. Auto-Vision (2017)
- Behr B. The Paranoiac-Critical Method of Reflectance Transformation Imaging (2017)
- Behr B. Digging Horizontally (2017)
- Behr B. Mining Images (2016)
- Behr B. Trajectory of a Taxidermic Image: Akeley in the Elephant Skull (2015)
- Behr B. Akeley Inside the Elephant (2018)
- Batniji T, Behr B, Brognon D, Cannito A, Chernysheva O, Dekyndt E, Hammer JP, Hong JT, Kovacevic M, Kriemann S, Margreiter D, Paolozzi E, Pavlovic V, Perjovschi D, Perjovschi L, Ribalta J, Sokurow A, Sonntag J-PER, Vitaljic S. Tito's Bunker (2017)
- Behr B. Akeley Inside the Elephant (2017)
- Behr B. Amoy Gardens (2013)
- Behr B. COMMA 17 (2010)