Professor Alistair O'Neill
BiographyResearch interests: twentieth century and contemporary fashion; fashion photography in relation to visual culture; fashion curation and histories of display; London as a fashion city.
I am a writer and curator working in the field of fashion history and theory. My research concerns the representation of twentieth and twenty-first century fashion cultures and the role of surviving material culture and photography as sources.
My work is motivated by working in a fashion programme in an art school, as it offers a mode of interpretation closely aligned to the concerns of design and make. My teaching is closely aligned to my research projects and my students participate as part of their course. I regularly contribute to Aperture magazine.
From April 2018 I am Co-Investigator on the AHRC funded research project, Exploding Fashion: Cutting, Constructing and Thinking Through Things, with my colleague, Professor Caroline Evans as Principal Investigator.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council, Exploding Fashion: Cutting, Constructing and Thinking Through Things, £253,674.41, (2018-2020)
- AHRC, Conservation, cataloguing and indexing of journals held as part of the Emap archive, £110,160.00, (2003-2005)
- O'Neill A. London: after a fashion (2007)
- O'Neill A. Walter Pfeiffer (2018)
- O'Neill A. A Dedicated Follower of Fashion (2018)
- O'Neill A. Staging Fashion in Somerset House (2017)
- O'Neill A. Detours and Sideshadows (2016)
- O'Neill A. The Shining and Chic (2015)
- O'Neill A. Uneasy Bedfellows (2014)
- O'Neill A. A Rose is a Rose is a Rose is a Rose: Essay (2013)
- O'Neill A. A display of ‘articles of clothing, for immediate, personal, or domestic use': fashion at the great exhibition (2012)
- O'Neill A. The culture of the twinset (2011)
- O'Neill A. Fashion in the 1980s: a time of revival (2011)
- O'Neill A. Imagining fashion: Helmut Lang and Maison Martin Margiela (2001)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- O'Neill A. Fully Fashioned: The Pringle of Scotland Story (2015)
- O'Neill A. Guy Bourdin: Image Maker (2014)
- O'Neill A, Marshall S. Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! (2013)
- O'Neill A, Kinmonth P, Monfreda A. Valentino: Master of Couture (2012)
- O'Neill A, Catterall C, Martin P. SHOWstudio: Fashion Revolution (2009)
- O'Neill A. Fashion Lives - A New Exhibition at the British Library. (2005)
- O'Neill A. Wolf Suschitzky: Charing Cross Road in the 1930s (2004)
Current research students
- Sally Bolton, The Fashion Image from 1999-2017 (Lead supervisor)
- Helen Spencer, Selling ‘Fords’ and ‘Trafalgars’: Balenciaga and Dior in the Paris, New York and London editions of Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue, 1928-1960 (Lead supervisor)