In this online workshop, delivered over 2 half-day sessions, you will find ways to raise student attainment and embed maths into your creative lesson plans and teaching. You will be guided through a range of strategies and techniques to support your students with the development of their mathematical skills. Our facilitators will help you to deliver creative and innovative student outcomes while addressing the STEAM agenda for Ofsted.
The first will feature presentations, discussion, and the demonstration of a creative task, which you will then be able to go away and complete. During the second session, 1 week later, you will gain personal feedback and discuss the outcome of the task with our facilitators.
Computer and internet access is required to attend this workshop. Joining instructions will be sent one week before the first session.
Read facilitator Derek Johnson's article on embedding maths in creative teaching on our blog.
If you have any questions about this CPD workshop, or would like to book by invoice, please email email@example.com.
- Identify the specific mathematical skills required by students to succeed in their chosen area of study
- Discover ways to incorporate and embed relevant mathematical skills within the course(s) you are teaching
- Explore how you might build your students’ confidence when applying their mathematical skills by using scenarios from their everyday study
- Identify the maths that you are already using in your teaching and discover how this can be flagged, formalised and reinforced to meet Ofsted’s agenda
- Gain an understanding of the topics studied by students in Foundation Maths (Functional Skills and GCSE)
- Devise and share suggestions of how maths might be used as the starting point for art and design projects back in the classroom
- Develop a written ‘Embedding Maths’ plan that addresses the needs of your individual courses or students
- How to reflect on your own learning, apply your findings in your teaching, and measure impact.
Who should attend?
Ideal for those who teach creative education at the following levels:
- AS level
- A level
- UAL Awarding Body (Levels 1-4)
All levels of expertise and specialism are welcome.
About the facilitators
Derek is Director of West Suffolk College’s School of Art and Design; a school with over 400 students and outstanding success rates across its level 1-4 and degree programmes. He has worked in creative education (both FE and HE) for over 20 years, specialising in drawing, photography and mixed-media illustration work.
Derek mentors MA students in the Business School at Middlesex University and has previously worked as an External Verifier for Functional Skills. The Art School he manages has developed an annual MARS (Maths, Art, Religion and Science) Award, which has been highlighted as being outstanding and innovative.