Media Law Online Short Course
Posting anything online is considered publishing, so whether you are a professional journalist or an avid social media reporter, you need to know your liability under UK media law.
This one-day intensive course will examine the fundamental principles of relevant UK legislation and teach you to get the interesting content you need whilst staying above the law. You will discuss the way, the law works in the ever-changing contemporary media and publishing industry and how it seeks to achieve a balance between the rights of individuals and the interests of the media.
Who Should Attend
Writers, journalists, bloggers and anyone publishing online or in print media.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- Notebook and pen
- Legal framework of the media industry
- Rights of individuals versus the interests of the media
- Contempt of Court
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the law as it applies to any form of publication in the UK
- Recognise situations where the law restricts or may otherwise have a bearing on what you intend to publish and act accordingly
- Know the latest legislation and practice
Meet the Tutor:
Media Law Short Course examines the fundamental principles of relevant UK legislation and get interesting content you need whilst staying above the law.