This course is for beginners, and also more experienced fashion designers who want to improve their drawing skills. Fashion sketching and illustrating are key skills in the fashion design process, and this fashion illustration course will teach you how to draw garments and render materials such as silk, leather and denim using pencils and markers.
You will explore different fashion illustration techniques such as drawing textures using graphite or soft pencil and basic marker rendering. You will learn how to sketch pleats, flares, gathers, necklines, collars, sleeves and more, and will help you depict fabric that drapes naturally, and capture textures and embellishments in your drawings.
You will develop your fashion illustration sketches week by week with feedback from your tutor in online weekly classes. This is a practical course where you are encouraged to experiment with different types of fashion illustration and drawing.
By the end of this course you will have developed your skills to a higher level, and will be more confident in your ability to accurately express your creative ideas. You will also have developed a range of high-quality drawings for your portfolio, that can aid you in a job or degree application.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed the skills to draw and render garments with confidence and effectively communicate and present your design ideas
- Practiced and mastered a range of drawing and rendering techniques
- Produced a body of work that can contribute to a fashion or illustration portfolio
- Received personal feedback on your designs and progress from your tutor
Who is Garments: Fashion Drawing and Illustration (Online Short Course) for?
This course is perfect for anyone with an interest in fashion illustration who would like to learn professional drawing techniques and start to build a portfolio. It is also ideal for aspiring fashion designers, illustrators, prospective fashion students or anyone looking to develop their drawing and illustration techniques for enjoyment.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Free hand garment drawing
- Garment silhouettes and garment details
- Understanding drapery and volume
- Basic shading techniques
- Highlighting with markers
- Full colour marker rendering
- Depicting different fabrics, textures, pattern and embellishment (using markers, coloured pencils and selection of different pens)
- Tools and equipment hints
- Shading with graphite or soft pencil
- Observational drawing
- Exploring continuous line drawing and tone
- Using tracing method
- Copy and transforming garment illustrations
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions