Fashion Manufacturing (Online)
This course is aimed at individuals that want to learn about fashion manufacturing, costing for the fashion industry, manufacturing terminology and how to manage basic production for a small capsule collection. What makes the course unique is that individuals will be shown "virtual" visits to a factory to learn about the processes and procedures that go into producing a quality garment.
- Introduction to production/manufacturing for the fashion industry.
- Ethical Fashion/Ethical Manufacturing (The basics)
- Range Planning
- The fashion seasons
- Fabric selection and testing
- Care instructions
- Costing a garment and costing a collection
- Fit procedures
- Garment specification
- Pros and cons of producing overseas (FOB & COB)
- The Buying and sales process
Independent research will be required in addition to completing group work and short homework sessions. Students are required to attend all lessons or watch all recorded class sessions in order to gain maximum benefit from participating.
- Sarah, former student
By the end of the course you will
- Have developed a working knowledge of the Fashion Manufacturing industry
- Understand pricing architecture and strategies
- Produced a code of conduct
- Learned about contemporary issues relating to Fashion Manufacturing, such as overseas production and ethical manufacture
- Know a broad range of industry relevant factory terminology
- Understand the significance of Fashion forecasting in relation to Manufacturing processes
Who is Fashion Manufacturing (Online) for
This course will provide relevant knowledge for anyone who is considering working in the Fashion Industry. If you are, or want to be, a Buyer, Merchandiser, Designer, Marketer, or if you want to specialise in Fashion Manufacturing, this course will provide you with useful insights.
Please note: this course is for people ages 18 and over
Why choose a CSM online learning short course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Jennifer Williams-Baffoe is an international fashion and creative industry business consultant and has worked for many organisations such as The Fashion and Textiles Museum, The British Fashion Council and The British Apparel and Textile Confederation. Jennifer is a short course tutor at Central Saint Martins and The London College of Fashion and is the author of The British Fashion Councils Designer Manufacturer Handbook. Jennifer is also a consultant for the United Nations on their Ethical Fashion Initiative Project
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions