Fashion Manufacturing Online Short Course
This course will demystify fashion manufacturing through “virtual” visits to a factory to learn about the process and procedures that go into producing a quality garment. It will teach you how clothes are made step by step and is ideal for designers who want to start small scale production, or fashion buyers who work with factories to develop clothes for a private label.
You will analyse key factors in the garment manufacturing process including price and quality, colour, fabric and yarn, fabric testing and construction types. In addition, you will learn about the importance of fashion forecasting, order size in clothing manufacturing, quality control and ethical manufacturing.
The virtual factory visits make this course unique as you really get to go behind the scenes, see a real factory, and ask questions about the equipment and manufacturing processes. This is a fast-paced, practical course and you are encouraged to ask questions but also to work independently. By the end of this course you will have created a plan for your very own capsule collection.
This fashion manufacturing course will give you an insight into an important, but often mysterious, part of the fashion industry. The skills you will learn will guide you as you start your own small fashion business or consider fashion manufacturing roles within larger clothing companies.
Who is Fashion Manufacturing Online Short Course for?
This course is for individuals that wish to learn about fashion manufacturing, costing for the fashion industry, manufacturing terminology and how to manage basic production for a small capsule collection.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed a working knowledge of small to medium volume fashion manufacturing.
- Learned about pricing architecture and strategies
- Produced a code of conduct
- Learned about contemporary issues relating to Fashion Manufacturing, such as overseas production and ethical manufacture
- Become familiar with a broad range of industry relevant factory terminology
- Understood the significance of Fashion forecasting in relation to manufacturing processes
- Planned your own capsule collection
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
- Introduction to production and manufacturing in the fashion industry
- Fashion forecasting and why it is important to manufacturing
- The buying and sales process
- Range planning and capsule collections
- Costing a garment, costing a collection, and costing sheets
- Price and quality
- Garment specification and design style sheets
- Colour, fabric and yarn
- Fabric selection and testing
- Pros and cons of overseas production
- Finding a factory and factory assessment
- Ethical manufacturing what does that mean?
- Producing a code of conduct
- Factory terminology and terms and conditions
- Production management, quality control, and critical path management
- Fit procedures
- Care instructions
- Delivery and finance
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course provides valuable insight into fashion manufacturing, including key terms, costs and management practices. You will even attend virtual trips to garment factories. A great way to learn about industry-level standards.