Graduates from UAL colleges are to play an important part in London Grads Now. 21– an upcoming graduate-led exhibition at Saatchi Gallery in Chelsea, running from 4 November 2021 - 16 January 2022. Artists trained at MA courses across Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins and Chelsea College of Arts will have their work exhibited and 3 of them will curate the work from UAL.
Following the success of the 2020 London Grads Now., this second edition aims to support and highlight the emerging artists of today and will feature over 200 artworks created and curated by MA graduates from 7 of London’s leading art schools. This headline show will cover 9 galleries across 2 floors with dedicated exhibition space allocated to each school.
London Grads Now. was initially conceived in 2020 when UK government COVID restrictions meant in-person graduation shows could not go ahead. The exhibition will give a unique insight into exceptional teaching techniques, artistic practices and cultural approaches – a microcosm of the diversity of London.
To address meaningful and timely dialogues and concerns, curators have selected artworks focusing on themes including environmentalism, gender identity, post-pandemic reflections, UK race politics as well as explorations of the human psyche. The works selected for London Grads Now. 21 span moving image, assemblage, installation, performance, painting, sculpture, photography and drawing.
The exhibition will include MA graduates from:
- Camberwell College of Arts (curated by Juan Bolivar)
- Central Saint Martins (curated by Jingwen Weng & Lingfei Rena Song)
- Chelsea College of Arts (curated by Juan Bolivar)
- UCL: Slade School of Art (curated by Victoria Cantons)
- Goldsmiths University (curated by LaTosha Monique)
- Royal College of Art (curated by Thomas Hjelm & Lauren Bevan), and, new to this years’ edition
- Kingston School of Art (curated remotely from Tehran, Iran by Shahrzad Jahan).
The exhibition identity was also developed by Camberwell MA graduate Tom White.
Tickets are from £5 with concessions available. Under 10s go free (T&Cs apply) and Saatchi Gallery Members go free.
Walk-ins are welcome but pre-booking is advised. Tickets can be booked in advance online.