Skip to main content

Health Advice

The Health Advice Service provides advice and information to students at University of the Arts London (UAL) on registering with a doctor (GP) in the UK and about any other aspect of health and well-being.

Advice is available for students who have questions or concerns about:

  • lifestyle (including alcohol, drugs and smoking)
  • healthy eating
  • physical wellbeing
  • infectious diseases
  • sexual health

Students usually meet with a health adviser for a one to one appointment at the Student Centre at High Holborn but advice can also be offered by telephone or by email, if it is difficult to attend an appointment.

If you have applied for a course at UAL and would like to speak to a health adviser before it starts, please email This could be about a pre-existing medical condition, access to specific medication in the UK, if you will be coming from abroad, understanding how the National Health Service (NHS) works, or anything else.

Appointments and enquiries

You can request health advice by completing the Counselling and Health Advice Request Form.

If you know the type of health advice you require you can indicate this, and provide any other relevant information. You will be contacted by email or phone with advice in response to the enquiry, or to set up an appointment.

Telephone enquiries or emails to are also welcome.

  • Common room at The Costume Store
    Common room at The Costume Store
    UAL Halls  

    Find the suggested GP surgery nearest to your UAL hall of residence

  • man and women in conversation
    Cem Hamlacibasi during his Internship at Narrative Projects by Alys Tomlinson
    Find a GP  

    The NHS Choices website has a facility to search for GP services

  • girl in front of laptop
    Marianne Majluf Foundation Art and Design, by Alys Tomlinson
    Health Advice  

    Request an appointment

  • Emergency help

    Find out who to contact in an emergency

Register with a GP (General Practitioner)

Register with a GP in London at the beginning of your studies, even if you are already registered elsewhere in the UK. If you have pre-existing health conditions early registration is especially important. Prompt registration will avoid delays in accessing health care when it is needed the most. Free NHS treatment is accessible to all UK students, and those EU and International students on a full-time course lasting more than 6 months. You may need to pay for prescriptions and dental treatment.

As a UAL student, you can register at Holborn Medical Centre. Please select UAL Health Network.

Address: 64 Lamb's Conduit Street,  London, WC1N 3NA.

Other medical services

  • Dentist  

    You can find a dentist using the NHS local search facility. You can choose to see an NHS or a private dentist. You need to visit the dentist to register and bring your GP details with you, as this proves you are entitled to NHS care.

  • Optician  

    You can find an optician using the NHS local search facility. You can access sight tests, optical services and buy glasses or contact lenses from an optician.

  • Prescriptions and charges  

    You have to pay some of the cost towards prescription charges, dental care and optical services but you may be eligible for help towards this under the NHS Low Income scheme.

  • Urgent medical attention  

    Urgent appointments can be booked at your doctor’s surgery during office hours. You can also visit an NHS Walk-in Centre.

Specific health issues

Learn about some specific health issues that may affect you:

Seasonal Influenza ('flu')

Flu is a viral illness, cases of which become more common during the winter months. Check out the NHS advice on Flu.

Measles and mumps

There has been a substantial increase in the numbers of people getting measles and mumps. Students who were not given 2 doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccination when they were younger are advised to contact their doctor’s practice.

Meningitis booster vaccinations

You should have had the MenACWY vaccine to prevent meningitis and septicaemia, which can be deadly.

You should check you’ve had this vaccination before coming to UAL. UK students are usually offered this vaccine in year 9 or 10 at school.

If you have missed this vaccination for some reason or if you are an overseas student and your country hasn’t offered it then you can ask your GP to give it to you for free if you are aged 25 years or under. Please get the vaccination before you arrive. If that's not possible you should have it  as soon as possible after you arrive - the greatest risk of catching these infections is in the first few weeks

International Students

Students on courses of 6 months or more.

International students who are studying on a course of 6 months or more are eligible for full health care (excluding dental treatment) under the NHS. In addition if your spouse or/and children are resident in the UK with you as dependents they are also entitled to the same heath care service.

Students on courses of less than 6 months.

If you are studying in the UK for less than 6 months on a short term study visa, you are not required to pay the health surcharge as part of your visa application and are therefore not eligible for full NHS support.

In these circumstances, you are advised to take out medical insurance as you are likely to be  liable for NHS charges for the treatment you receive in the UK except for in a medical emergency.

What does the NHS provide free of charge?

If you are entitled to NHS treatment, the following will be free of charge:

  • Free consultation with your GP
  • Free hospital treatment in Accident and Emergency
  • Free hospital treatment if your GP recommends it
  • Free contraceptive services
  • Free maternity care

You will need to pay for

  • Medicines prescribed by your GP (referred to as prescription costs)
  • Some GP services (e.g. vaccinations for travel)

Contact us

Telephone: 020 7514 6251


For full access and route guides to all our sites visit DisabledGo

See our advice on Keeping Healthy while you study