Book Design and Production Short Course
Design a book from start to finish. This hands-on, ten-day course taught by an industry expert covers the process of creating professionally designed and illustrated books. Starting from a blank page, and with no prior knowledge presumed, this course covers page layout and design, typography, working with images, workflow and production techniques, and leads students though all the steps needed to build final print-ready files, and also consider how the print versions cab be repurposed for online viewing.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of typography, page layout, book design conventions and best practice
- Apply the latest recommended techniques to use Adobe InDesign for professional book creation
- Plan and coordinate the production of streamlined workflows and successful print production
- Consider the factors involved in converting the print files for screens
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
The course will be taught through lectures, exercises and workshops that cover an end-to-end design and production.
- Layout design
- Embedding images
- Adobe Creative Cloud Software
- Preparing files for print
- Repurposing the files for online versions (ePub and PDF)
- Project: Text-led novel
- Project: Image-led travel book
All Materials will be provided for this course.
Meet the Tutor:
Learn how to design image and text-led books and communications materials for print and PDThe course covers design, typography, working with images, workflow and production techniques.