The Complete Makeup Artist
On this makeup artist course you will learn the professional skills required to become an innovative and in-demand make-up artist in the creative world of fashion image-making. This industry focused professional short course covers all aspects of makeup and has been designed for aspiring makeup artists who wish to gain the skills and confidence to pursue a career in the industry.
In addition to being taught the theory and practising your new skills, you'll record your work and build a portfolio during two studio photoshoots with a professional photographer and hair stylist - allowing you to demonstrate the skills learnt during the course and put them into practice. In addition to the course tutors, a teaching assistant will support your learning, and we will create a Facebook group for you to network with each other throughout.
Previous students have forged successful careers in the makeup industry and gone on to assist on teams for some of the biggest make up artists in the world, including Pat McGrath and Charlotte Tilbury for fashion week, and have been signed to various make up agencies in London. As this is a small group of students, there will be plenty of opportunity for one-to-one tutor advice on careers in the industry.
The course includes:
- Skincare, hygiene and preparation
- Selection of bases and skin finishes
- Corrective makeup
- Natural beauty makeup
- Bridal makeup
- Trends in fashion and beauty
- Corrective colour theory
- Strong advertorial makeup accentuating cheek bones, lips and contouring
- Decades in makeup: show girls, silver screen sirens and supermodels
- Who's who in the industry
- Editorial makeup: working on set / assisting
- Couture and ready-to-wear catwalk makeup
- Beauty and fantasy imagery for promotional impact
- Blocking out eyebrows and facial adornment
- HD make-up for TV, film, music promotions & commercials
- Creating a character / working on set
- Introduction to special effects
- Introduction to body painting
- False eyelashes
You'll receive your own full set of brushes and a MAC Cosmetics makeup starter kit. Take a look at the 'materials' section for full details on the contents of the kit.
The Complete Makeup Artist is a part time course when run over 15 weeks, or a full time course when run over 15 days. You can see which course dates are 15 days or 15 weeks long in the 'Available Dates' section below.
For the course dates running 19 January - 11 May, please note that there will be a two-week break with no classes on 13 and 20 April. The course then resumes on 27 April.
Our makeup courses take place in our makeup studios housed within our Lime Grove site in West London.
Course director: Lucy Wearing
Tutors: Ellie Tobin, Crystabel Riley
Teaching assistant: Claudia Savage
"Ellie, Claudia and Hailey were absolutely amazing! Also, the models were great! I enjoyed this course SO MUCH and honestly it’s given me the most confidence in following my dream of becoming a Makeup artist. Their knowledge and skills were soooooo helpful and I’m so sad the course is now over- really didn't want it to end! Would highly recommend this to anyone, it was a boost that I so desperately needed and my mindset feels so much more positive and focused on achieving my goals! Thank you!!" - Holly, UK
Find out more about the course from former student Katie in our Student Stories blog post.
This is a beginners/intermediate makeup course. It's suitable if you've no previous experience or if you'd like to use the course as a refresher to kick start your career.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Discounted Shopping Event:
As part of your course, you will receive an invite to both a MAC and Bobbi Brown discount shopping session. Enabling you to purchase products at 35% discount. The Masterclass and shopping sessions may take place either during your course or in some cases the following week or weekend.
Early booking will allow you to spread the cost of The Complete Makeup Artist. Pay a 25% deposit (non-refundable) of total course fee followed by monthly repayments. To find out more or get your payment plan set up please call: +44 20 7514 7552
Ellie Tobin spreads her work between commercial advertising and fashion make-up. She has undertaken editorial freelance make-up work for clients such as Stylist, Wonderland (online), Vogue (India), Stella, Marie Claire, The Gourmand, Schon (online), ES, and Hope St. Advertising campaigns include Topshop, House of Hackney, Blink Brow bars, Nokia, J Crew, T Mobile, Vodafone, Superdrug, Barclays, Asos, O2, Nivea, Sony, Dove Spa, Sainsbury’s, Virgin and Matalan.
Please bring the following items with you to each class:
- Your own mascara
- Makeup remover/cleanser, and moisturiser (as you will be expected to practise on each other)
- Notepad and pen
Students are advised to remove any permanent eyelash extensions before the course starts, to ensure they are able to complete full makeup looks.
A MAC Studio Kit 1 starter makeup kit and a high quality 12 piece Bdellium brush set is included in the course fee. The starter kit includes:
- 2 correct & conceal palette - light, dark
- 3 face and body foundation 50ml c2, c6, n9
- 4 studio fix fluid - nc15, nw25, nc44, nw48
- 1 prep and prime finishing powder (loose)
- 1 single pro palette case
- 3 pro palette blushers - Raizin, Blushbaby, Sunbasque
- 1 sculpting powder - sculpt
- Eye shadow x9: Burgundy - times nine
- Eye shadow x9: Semi Sweet - times nine
- Eye pencil - Feline, Coffee
- 1 fluidline - Blacktrack
- 1 mascara - Haute and Naughty
- 2 eye brow pencils - Stud, Fling
- 1 chromagraphic pencil - white
- 3 lipsticks - Brave, Russian Red, Diva
- 2 lip pencils Cherry, Spice, Nightmoth
- Lip glass - clear
Kit contents may vary due to trends and availability.