Interview with the MiAL X Metro Imaging Mentorship Recipients
Running from March 2021 to February 2022, Metro Imaging offers mentorship and support to 2 graduating UAL postgraduate students who use photography as part of their practice.
This year’s recipients are Esther Gabrielle Kersley and Quetzal Maucci both of whom have recently graduated from the MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography course at London College of Communication.
Esther and Quetzal were selected by the panel made up of Arts Programmer and Made in Arts London (MiAL) Co-ordinator, Lotte Dawson, Artist and current Arts Students’ Union Activities Officer, Eleanor West, and Metro Imaging’s Creative Director, Professor Steve Macleod.
They will receive:
- A twelve month bespoke mentorship
- £500 credit to be used against Metro Imaging in-house services
- One to one mentorship including PPD; technical advice; networking opportunities and industry insight
- In-lab tutorials experience with various production departments (this will be subject to change due to C-19 laws and may move to online only sessions with technicians and printers)
- Portfolio and practice reviews and advice
- Curatorial advice in shaping their final degree show
- Opportunities to be involved in Metro instigated exhibitions and lectures
- Introductions to Metro Imaging partners such as BSAA; Shutter Hub and Life Framer
- Made in Arts London Artist membership with a two year contract
Post-Grad Community's Interim Liaison Coordinator Ana Blumenkron recently caught up with them both to talk about their work, graduating from UAL and their plans with the mentorship:
Coming to her practice from a background in politics, Esther explores contradictions “within us and in society more broadly that are not always visible. I am particularly interested in the blurred line between what is in our mind and what is happening externally.”
Born in San Francisco, Quetzal Maucci is an Argentinian and Peruvian American photographer based in London and part of Women Photograph. In her current practice she explores issues about immigration, state violence, and identity. Her final year project “is steeped in a personal story that centres on the deconstruction of the family album”.
- Made in Arts London Blog Article
- MiAL X Metro Imaging Mentorship
- Metro Imaging
- Arts Students’ Union
- Esther Gabrielle Kersley website
- Quetzal Maucci website
- MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography course
A thriving online magazine of our postgraduate student voices sharing thought-provoking experiences, practices, thoughts and articles about what matters to them.
Want to write an article? Get in touch with the Post-Grad Community team PGCommunity@arts.ac.uk