The Art for the Environment Residency Programme (AER) provides current UAL postgraduates and recent alumni (within 12 months) the opportunity to apply for a 2 to 4 week residency at one of our internationally renowned host institutions, to explore concerns that define the 21st century – biodiversity, environmental sustainability, social economy and human rights.
Founded in 2015, internationally acclaimed artist Professor Lucy Orta, UAL Chair of Art for the Environment – Centre for Sustainable Fashion, launched the programme in partnership with international residency programmes and UAL Post-Grad Community.
Residency dates: 12 to 18 July 2020
Application deadline: 20 April 2020 (Midnight)
About the host: Domaine de Boisbuchet integrates innovative architecture and design into the splendid setting of a 19th century French country estate, offering a unique creative and collaborative environment for people of all cultures to share. Boisbuchet's intensive workshop programmes invest deeply in cultures that respect the past and build for the future, at the same time stimulating research that promotes a more sustainable relationship between the natural and the man-made.
AER Residency Programme overview: This is a themed programme under the heading ‘Fibre Power’ directed by designer Fernando Laposse in partnership with Margent Farm. The Workshop focusses on two super fibers; sisal (agave leaves) and hemp. Fiber Power will be a week long exploration into traditional and new innovative uses of these versatile fibers. Participants will learn about the history of the plants and how to turn their fibers into both soft and rigid structures using a variety of techniques such as felting, spinning, press heating and combining them with plant based bio-resins. The week will be comprised of a couple of days of experimentation giving practical advice and will ideally culminate in a group effort to achieve something of architectural proportions.
AER Residency opportunity includes:
- A one-week workshop fully funded
- UAL grant of £500 on completion of residency and final report
- Use of a shared-studio space
- Curator mentoring and feedback
- Participation in an open-studio event
- Accommodation and meals
- Travel to Poitiers, France (cap £150)
Criteria: Applications accepted from UAL postgraduates (MA and PhD) and recent alumni (within 12 months from graduation) only.
Please Note: Successful applicants will be responsible for (i) arranging and booking their own travel to and from the place of the AER Residency in accordance with guidance provided in the application call-outs or by AER administration team and (ii) arranging visas or other travel documentation as may be necessary as well as health and travel insurance. Successful applicants will be required to sign an appropriate UAL AER Residency Agreement which governs applicant’s participation on the Residency prior to the commencement of the Residency. All successful applicants shall receive a copy of the UAL AER Residency agreement following a formal confirmation on the grant of Residency.
- For further Information on the programme, visit the Art for the Environment Residency page.
- Explore our partnering institutions from all over the world.
- Extend your knowledge of AER by exploring Stories by previous UAL residents reporting back from their trip.
- Thinking of applying? Take a look at previous winning applications that earned a place on the AER residency programme.
- Professor Lucy Orta: AER Founder, UAL Chair of Art and the Environment, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Camilla Palestra: AER Associate Curator, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Fiona McKay AER Coordinator, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Abigail Fletcher: UAL Post-Grad Community Coordinator
For enquiries, please email UAL Post-Grad Community