Your network username and password are used to access important systems such as your email account, UAL computers and Moodle.
Before starting your course, an email will be sent to your personal email address containing your UAL network username. Follow the email instructions to set up your UAL password as soon as possible.
If you haven't received this email and have firmly accepted your offer and met any conditions, please check the Junk folder.
If you have checked the above but still haven’t received it, please contact us through the UAL Portal using the Contact Us button in your My Application(s) tab.
Current or returning students
Expired or forgotten passwords
- Reset an expired password on Password Self Service (PSS). Select ‘Forgotten Password (Students)’.
- You will be sent an email to your personal email address containing a link to set a new password.
- You can update your personal email in the Student Portal. Need help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Change your existing password
If you know your password but wish to change it, you can also do this in PSS.
Starting your next course?
If you're moving onto your next UAL course without a break (e.g. from Foundation to Undergraduate), you will use the same details.
If there are over 150 days between finishing one course and starting the next, your account will be inaccessible until you have firmly accepted the offer for your next course.
You will not have access to some services, such as Library Services, until you enrol on your new course.
Password security criteria
Make sure your password meets the following criteria:
- Be at least 12 characters long.
- Contain at least 1 number.
- Be a combination of upper and lower-case letters.
- Contain at least 1 special character (e.g. ! @ # % ), excluding the following characters: £ $ € \ | :
The National Cyber Security Centre also recommends using a passphrase or 'three random words' instead of a singular word.
It should not:
- Have been used previously.
- Contain common words such as: your name, username, test, password, UAL. or a common sequence of characters e.g. 1,2,3 or AABBCCDD.
Keep your account secure
- You should under no circumstances share your password with someone.
- Keep your new password secure and avoid writing it down. If you must write it down, please keep it in a safe place.
- Your UAL password should be different to the one used on other websites.
- If you’re concerned you have clicked on a suspicious email, change your password immediately and call the IT Service Desk on +44 (0)20 7514 9898.
Advice updated August 2021.
Top tips and further support
- It may take up to 15 minutes for your password to be updated across all UAL systems.
- Passwords can only be changed once every 24 hours.
- Read our Cyber Safety guidance for more advice on staying safe online.
- Check our FAQs for further help or call the IT Service Desk on +44 (0)20 7514 9898.